Lighting Help

raringdusk88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, wanting to upgrade my lights but not sure which way to go.

I have a 3ft tank, and currently on SPS frags that I want to turn into colonies and have SPS dominant.
Not sure whether 1 x XR30 G5 or 2 x XR15 G5s would be best? I plan on using some Orphek LED bars with these as well.

like the thought of the spread of 2 x XR 15s but not sure if they’ll have enough PAR (may do with the Orpheks as well if anyone has any experience?) whereas the xr30 will have the PAR but restricted to one light. Can’t afford 2 x xr30s at the moment.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two xr15's is better than 1 xr30. They will definitely cover a 3ft tank. @vetteguy53081 loves the orphek bars for their par output (I think its him sorry If I tag the wrong guy lol)

OP
OP
R

raringdusk88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two xr15's is better than 1 xr30. They will definitely cover a 3ft tank. @vetteguy53081 loves the orphek bars for their par output (I think its him sorry If I tag the wrong guy lol)
Thanks for that, do you think the xr15s would be enough for SPS including acros? The tank is only 18” deep.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do, do it SLOWLY!!!!!!!! If you are wanting to add more light for whatever reason you must, MUST do it slowly!! Plants and other photosynthetic life forms have evolved for millennia under the constant value of the sun. Even the simplest act of cleaning the reflectors (as discussed in another thread) can have a dynamic impact on your system! Imagine the sun suddenly became 10-20% stronger in an instant! What would happen?

If you get new lights, set them at the exact same parameters you have now and dial them up gradually over the next 6 months to a year...

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, wanting to upgrade my lights but not sure which way to go.

I have a 3ft tank, and currently on SPS frags that I want to turn into colonies and have SPS dominant.
Not sure whether 1 x XR30 G5 or 2 x XR15 G5s would be best? I plan on using some Orphek LED bars with these as well.

like the thought of the spread of 2 x XR 15s but not sure if they’ll have enough PAR (may do with the Orpheks as well if anyone has any experience?) whereas the xr30 will have the PAR but restricted to one light. Can’t afford 2 x xr30s at the moment.
Welcome to REEF2REEF!!! @SPR1968 may be of some help here. I’d go with 2 xr15s to spread out the PAR. I’m currently using an orphek bar in lieu of T5’s now. The good thing is they run the length of the tank to even out light distribution.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!!! @SPR1968 may be of some help here. I’d go with 2 xr15s to spread out the PAR. I’m currently using an orphek bar in lieu of T5’s now. The good thing is they run the length of the tank to even out light distribution.
The only PAR I understand is on my golf course and that’s rare!

I can recommend the XR30’s, I’ve got 4 of them (G4 Pros) and I think from memory they have a spread of 36 inches or thereabouts but just check the specifications. That’s about the size of your tank so 1 should maybe be just enough but it’s personal preference

Infact take a look at this

OP
OP
R

raringdusk88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only PAR I understand is on my golf course and that’s rare!

I can recommend the XR30’s, I’ve got 4 of them (G4 Pros) and I think from memory they have a spread of 36 inches or thereabouts but just check the specifications. That’s about the size of your tank so 1 should maybe be just enough but it’s personal preference

Infact take a look at this

So you think both types will be sufficient just personal preference for which one to go for? I don’t want to get hung up on PAR but I know some people have been disappointed with PAR readings on the 15s but I can only find data on the Gen4s....

I know brstv have done a review on the gen 5s but only for 1 x 15 or 30, I’d like to see what someone achieved with 2 together.
the total length of the tank is 40”.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think both types will be sufficient just personal preference for which one to go for? I don’t want to get hung up on PAR but I know some people have been disappointed with PAR readings on the 15s but I can only find data on the Gen4s....

I know brstv have done a review on the gen 5s but only for 1 x 15 or 30, I’d like to see what someone achieved with 2 together.
the total length of the tank is 40”.
All you can do is research the ecotech web site, my big system is nearly 3 metres long and about 78cm deep so that meant 4 XR30 G4 Pro’s

Im no light expert to be honest, as long as they look pretty and do the job that’s were my interest stops! Lol

I researched and the Radions seemed to be the best (just my personal opinion) and the ones I wanted. I’ve also got Hydra 26 HD’s x 4 in the S650. They all do the job but I have the Radions and there beautiful like most ecotech equipment. I can’t comment on the XR15’s really, I guess there less powerful but then your tank is smaller so...

You also have the cost which you said you need to take into account, and if your at 40 inches in theory your about 4 short of the maximum coverage of 1 XR30 so...

Maybe one of the other lighting systems is better for the tank, Hydra, the other ones you mention etc.

OP
OP
R

raringdusk88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you can do is research the ecotech web site, my big system is nearly 3 metres long and about 78cm deep so that meant 4 XR30 G4 Pro’s

Im no light expert to be honest, as long as they look pretty and do the job that’s were my interest stops! Lol

I researched and the Radions seemed to be the best (just my personal opinion) and the ones I wanted. I’ve also got Hydra 26 HD’s x 4 in the S650. They all do the job but I have the Radions and there beautiful like most ecotech equipment. I can’t comment on the XR15’s really, I guess there less powerful but then your tank is smaller so...

You also have the cost which you said you need to take into account, and if your at 40 inches in theory your about 4 short of the maximum coverage of 1 XR30 so...

Maybe one of the other lighting systems is better for the tank, Hydra, the other ones you mention etc.
That’s kind of where I’m at, as I plan on using the Orphek bars for extra PAR and fluoresce would the 15s be enough to get better spread and overall PAR increases for SPS.

It would be good to see if anyone has put these side by side with some measurements...

I have just had a quick look at the Ecotech website and found a data sheet which says for SPS dominant in my tank size range 2 XR15s ran at 50-100% should be ok or 1 or 2 xr30s ran at 40-90% lol.
https://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Radion_g5_lighting_guide.pdf

do you run your xr30s at full power?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s kind of where I’m at, as I plan on using the Orphek bars for extra PAR and fluoresce would the 15s be enough to get better spread and overall PAR increases for SPS.

It would be good to see if anyone has put these side by side with some measurements...

I have just had a quick look at the Ecotech website and found a data sheet which says for SPS dominant in my tank size range 2 XR15s ran at 50-100% should be ok or 1 or 2 xr30s ran at 40-90% lol.
https://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Radion_g5_lighting_guide.pdf

do you run your xr30s at full power?
Not full power if this helps

86C65F9A-28D6-4F63-9322-9E07969E3514.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that, do you think the xr15s would be enough for SPS including acros? The tank is only 18” deep.

I would say so. Two at a 6 inch mounting height should provide 200+ for par across the tank based on the brs videos. A single light should cover at least 20x20 inches for a 200+ area for par. These lights have probably the best spread of any LED out there.

OP
OP
R

raringdusk88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say so. Two at a 6 inch mounting height should provide 200+ for par across the tank based on the brs videos. A single light should cover at least 20x20 inches for a 200+ area for par. These lights have probably the best spread of any LED out there.
2 x XR15s arriving tomorrow

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back