Lighting on after Tank Cycling?

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Hope everyone’s safe during these bad times. So I had setup a tank during Covid to help my self cope up with the lockdown. But unfortunately I was let go by my company. So I cannot add any live stock currently. My tank is fully cycled for about a month now without lights.
Do you guys recommend that I start the lights even if I dont have any livestock in my tank? Hope to grow some coraline algae.
any advice and suggestion are welcome. Thank you.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion but I’d leave the lights off until you add live stock (clean up crew and fish). No need in doing an algae build up quite yet, you don’t want the wrong algae to build up especially when you don’t have help to clean it up to help with it. I would leave the lights off and keep feeding the healthy bacteria with a little food to keep your nitrates stable.
Couple questions:
What are your parameters? it’s always good to know where you are.
Did you use live rock or dry rock? If dry it’ll take awhile before the coraline grows in it.
Have you supplemented any coraline into your tank? (bottled coraline?)

I know the temptation of turning the light on, if you feel the need do it, do it for short bursts 2-3hrs tops blue light would be my recommendation if you can.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with the above, I have fish already in my tank and I still don't have my lights on. I still have to get CUC but I want to get only 2 max CUC (two snails). I want to very minimize chance of algae bloom and also I am still building my DIY light mount.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't turn the lights on. There are pros and cons to running the lights at this point, but honestly, if I didn't have anything to view, I'd save the money on electricity and use it on fun corals/fish when you can start stocking. The coraline will come in time- no need to base your decisions around accelerating its growth.

OP
OP
S

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all great insights. Thank you guys for all your advice. Happy reefing

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thanks for your reply. How many hours should I keep the light cycle ?

I would imagine 8hours as per what I have read on here.

doesn’t have to be super bright, but take what I say and read others experiences as well. Because there have been very good points about algae blooMs

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back