Lighting Opinions (Upgrade from PC)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lux app on my phone that reads about 15K maybe any inch from the light (with diffuser). Even if it's not 100% accurate, I would expect it to work for comparison purposes from old light to new, so I might be overly worried about the brightness. All of my frags have come from brightly lit grow out tanks that also contained SPS.

So I might not actually be in bad shape. But the trick will be dialing down the LEDs to appropriate levels. I found this post and was thinking about just copying the LPS settings to start: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/367284-nanobox-how-to-bluefish-tideduoquad-series/.
Oh your not in bad shape at all.

Fwiw the meter and phone work differently without getting technical it's a lot less than 100%. A lot. But I'm glad you looked. That's smart.

Yes use the template Not that it's that accurate, but also look at the meter. Both will help.
And basicly start low and go up. Slowly.

And yup with PC the Lux conversion is lower like 45 to 55. So yes about 200 par.

I'm like, 67% self-helping...
Your hands on. Some folks not kill the coral and ask for help.

Does the new led not have a dimmer and controller?

OP
OP
Annahra

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to do my research because I get really upset when things die. The fight I had with my brittle star and dottyback over the poor little hawkfish should be made into a movie. Maybe on Lifetime.

The Nano Box kit comes with Bluefish connectivity so it's all app-controlled. I've watched a few videos and will watch more but I feel like I need it in my hands to really get a feel for it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. Yea that would have made me crazy. I've been pretty lucky on the fish front.

Sounds like you'll be perfectly fine.

Really. With no research or meter or thinking, If you just start low and slowly go up your perfectly fine.

Clearly we're controll freaks.

IMO , set the colors on the tank to make it look pretty. Then set the intensity on the meter to be just under the old par level. And then go up.

Simple. With lots of science behind it.

OP
OP
Annahra

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SIMPLE?! What is this blasphemy??

Yeah, the short version is my dottyback has been in the tank since week two and he's an ******* (he ate one of my peppermint shrimp after living peacefully for a month--rehomed the other). I added a yellow striped possum wrasse and a pygmy hawkfish at the same time to diffuse aggression and he had the hawkfish hiding in a rock and the wrasse hanging out on my overflow (and this is after a 20 hour lights out).

I was watching to make sure no one got really hurt for the first half hour of lights back on and then went to get a shower. When I got back, my brittle star had caught the hawkfish and was trying to eat it. I tore up a bunch of rocks and did everything but tear off the star's arms to get him to back away (up to my elbows in the tank) then had to use a turkey baster to get the hawkfish out from under the rock and he died a couple of hours later. I have rehomed the wrasse and have accepted that it is the dottyback's tank now, and not mine. And I've been calling my brittle star the Kraken and feeding him more.

wilecyote007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I ordered the Nano Box large retro kit but now I'm thinking I need to rearrange some corals. Here's the plan:

Green: Discosoma and Rhodactis move down to partial shade
Blue: Ricordea moves lower down and to side
Purple: Stylo moves up and center and I want to add some Monti on that same rock
Red: Kenya tree moves off to side out of the way
Black: Zoas, GSP, and Lepto stay in place on sand bed
Orange: Xenia and Clove polyps stay in place
Yellow: Add a crocea clam in a couple of months

Sound good? Is there a good resource for programming the Nano?

96abc6ec355cef60f206dc54c484a9c1.jpg
This pic is hilarious. Looks like john madden explaining a play to run for the reef.lol

OP
OP
Annahra

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic is hilarious. Looks like john madden explaining a play to run for the reef.lol
Either I'm meticulous and careful in my planning with any eye towards entertaining my audience at the same time, or I overthink EVERYTHING to a place that isn't healthy. You decide. :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SIMPLE?! What is this blasphemy??

Yeah, the short version is my dottyback has been in the tank since week two and he's an ******* (he ate one of my peppermint shrimp after living peacefully for a month--rehomed the other). I added a yellow striped possum wrasse and a pygmy hawkfish at the same time to diffuse aggression and he had the hawkfish hiding in a rock and the wrasse hanging out on my overflow (and this is after a 20 hour lights out).

I was watching to make sure no one got really hurt for the first half hour of lights back on and then went to get a shower. When I got back, my brittle star had caught the hawkfish and was trying to eat it. I tore up a bunch of rocks and did everything but tear off the star's arms to get him to back away (up to my elbows in the tank) then had to use a turkey baster to get the hawkfish out from under the rock and he died a couple of hours later. I have rehomed the wrasse and have accepted that it is the dottyback's tank now, and not mine. And I've been calling my brittle star the Kraken and feeding him more.
I have a kraken too ! Yea feed him.
Our first big kraken passed in my tank crash. He'd feed out your hand on silverside Sunday
We got a new one with red and black jagged stripes.
It's Darth Kraken.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back