Lighting options for 12 gallon long?

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Viparspectra 300 watt work or is this way overkill? It appeals to me given it's almost the exact size of the tank.

Tank is 35 inch long, 8 wide and 11 tall.

Open to any other ideas. Thanks.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to have a ton of light overspill with LEDs unless you go with something like a orphek light bar
Your best option is to get a two bulb T5 fixture

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to have a ton of light overspill with LEDs unless you go with something like a orphek light bar
Your best option is to get a two bulb T5 fixture
The 35 inch orphek bar looks like a winner. Am I correct to assume all of the spectrum options will work and I'm essentially choosing how the tank will look in the room? My gut says go all in UV "pop" (last option on the below page) but it's my first reef thus hard to be sure.

https://orphek.com/or2-150-120-90-60-reef-led-lighting/https://orphek.com/or2-150-120-90-60-reef-led-lighting/

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up ordering an Orphek OR3 90 Blue Plus. I can't imagine a better product exists for a 12 gallon long frag tank. Excited!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 35 inch orphek bar looks like a winner. Am I correct to assume all of the spectrum options will work and I'm essentially choosing how the tank will look in the room? My gut says go all in UV "pop" (last option on the below page) but it's my first reef thus hard to be sure.

https://orphek.com/or2-150-120-90-60-reef-led-lighting/https://orphek.com/or2-150-120-90-60-reef-led-lighting/

Uh I believe these are supplemental lighting or you are supposed to combine multiple bars. The spectrum is very narrow. I don’t believe they are dimmable at this time.

Take a look at the spectrum chart then compare it to stand alone lights like a prime or kessil and so on and you will see what I mean.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh I believe these are supplemental lighting or you are supposed to combine multiple bars. The spectrum is very narrow. I don’t believe they are dimmable at this time.

Take a look at the spectrum chart then compare it to stand alone lights like a prime or kessil and so on and you will see what I mean.
On a 8” wide tank one orphek bar will suffice. They many examples on their website of what you can do with the bars

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 8” wide tank one orphek bar will suffice. They many examples on their website of what you can do with the bars
I was more concerned about spectrum of just one UV bar, not spread. I didn’t see any examples showing one bar and it’s effect on growth and color.

My understanding was there was proteins in coral that are excited by more then just blue/uv, red, yellow, green, etc so one may not get the full potential out of a coral with just blue or a coral may change color over time under just a uv bar.

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me the effect of UV on an actual tank with corals vs no uv.

I will save you the trouble. Doesnt exist.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me the effect of UV on an actual tank with corals vs no uv.

I will save you the trouble. Doesnt exist.

We are talking about using all 410, 420, 430 diodes and nothing else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are talking about using all 410, 420, 430 diodes and nothing else.
You have me thinking as I wait on the hanging kit. I'm currently running AI Prime Sol, 100% royal, 100% blue, 0% Cool White. I wish I could find the nm of each led, but no luck.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back