Lighting possibilities for new tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter $GMoney$
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

$GMoney$

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 23, 2022
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
Location
Corpus Christi
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just getting back into the hobby after about 20 years now that my last child is leaving for the Coast Guard. My last tank was a 180 gallon 72x24x30 SPS/LPS with 3 250w HQI's and full actinic lighting as well. The new tank I am looking at is a 269 gallon 72length x 36 wide x 24 high. This seems to be what I am looking for as the 30 inch depth I had before was beautiful, but was difficult to work in. This will be mainly and sps tank with zoos in lower light areas. What LED light or combo of lights do you think are viable options?
 
If I had to light this with just LED, I would use 4x of the 32/36 inch Photon V2s. Should come in under budget. Best tanks that I have seen that are all-LED are lit by Photons - fine Tim Hermans threads or therman.

You might get a lot of suggestions, but many will lack the nuance needed to light 36" wide. Folks often thin that what they use will scale, but it does not always.

Full disclosure: I still use HQI for main lighting. ...just offering since you have nothing else yet.
 
4 Photons is a good suggestion.

I would look into 2 rows of Reefi unos. 6 total. That would be 3 grand, with the budget to add 2 more if needed.
 
I use 4 x GHL mitras 7206s and 2x GHL mitras 7204s to light my central overflow 84 x 48 x 30 inch deep 500 gallon reef
 
4 orphek icons would work really well for you and give lots of PAR for sps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new