sharkbait-uhaha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So new to the forum but not so much to the reefing world... but I do have one question... for now,
I ended up purchasing the waterbox 10g, now the question is what light to go with.. 3 choices all ranging from budget to expensive(ish) .
Is it worth to spend the good chunk of change and get the best ( for my type of tank ) with all the cool mobile features and what not or go budget and spend the remaining money on fish and corals ?

Here at the list of lights I'm currently looking into

1) HIPARGERO seen reviews and everyone who has bought it has been happy with the performance and at that price it’s hard not to want it

2) kessil a80 as well seen many reviews and the form factor and power for decent price

3) last but not least what everyone seems to be raving about lately, the ai prime 16HD. Great lighting great form factor great mobile interface etc .. is all that really worth the whopping $200+?

$70.jpg a80.jpg ai .jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ipinion
For a 10g the Ai-16 is prob over kill

Billmone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to the forum, I have a 54 gallon bow tank. I have two AI 16 primes and I enjoy them quite a bit. My fish, inverts, corals (softies, LPS, and SPS), and anemomes have all been doing well for years. I'm not familiar with the other lights so I can't give feedback on them. However for a 10 gallon, I'm thinking that an AI 16 prime may be too much. I'd imagine you could turn down the strength of the light, but for $200 I'd want to utilize much of the power and other benefits . So, I'm thinking you could definitely be fine with a less expensive light. I'm biased towards AI's, but I'm considering why spend the money when it's not necessary.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the AI Prime 16 on my Cube 10 & have exceptional growth & color with my LPS.

If money is the only thing holding you back from the Prime, you should try to find the original version of the light instead of the new one; I bet you can find one very affordably here on the marketplace.

OP
OP
sharkbait-uhaha

sharkbait-uhaha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to the forum, I have a 54 gallon bow tank. I have two AI 16 primes and I enjoy them quite a bit. My fish, inverts, corals (softies, LPS, and SPS), and anemomes have all been doing well for years. I'm not familiar with the other lights so I can't give feedback on them. However for a 10 gallon, I'm thinking that an AI 16 prime may be too much. I'd imagine you could turn down the strength of the light, but for $200 I'd want to utilize much of the power and other benefits . So, I'm thinking you could definitely be fine with a less expensive light. I'm biased towards AI's, but I'm considering why spend the money when it's not necessary.

That’s what I was thinking, buying a used kessil a80 or something along those lines but everywhere I look, everyone is like AI PRIME this AI Prime that etc so that’s why I’m kinda on the edge. Also I like the whole 24hr spectrum lighting wheee it ramps up and down as day goes by

OP
OP
sharkbait-uhaha

sharkbait-uhaha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the AI Prime 16 on my Cube 10 & have exceptional growth & color with my LPS.

If money is the only thing holding you back from the Prime, you should try to find the original version of the light instead of the new one; I bet you can find one very affordably here on the marketplace.

Money isn’t really the issue, but it’s like everyone loves the ai prime so i wanted to see what others had to say about it. Also if I could save a buck or two Why not . Rather spend the extra cash on corals or such

Birr83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So new to the forum but not so much to the reefing world... but I do have one question... for now,
I ended up purchasing the waterbox 10g, now the question is what light to go with.. 3 choices all ranging from budget to expensive(ish) .
Is it worth to spend the good chunk of change and get the best ( for my type of tank ) with all the cool mobile features and what not or go budget and spend the remaining money on fish and corals ?

Here at the list of lights I'm currently looking into

1) HIPARGERO seen reviews and everyone who has bought it has been happy with the performance and at that price it’s hard not to want it

2) kessil a80 as well seen many reviews and the form factor and power for decent price

3) last but not least what everyone seems to be raving about lately, the ai prime 16HD. Great lighting great form factor great mobile interface etc .. is all that really worth the whopping $200+?

$70.jpg a80.jpg ai .jpg
I have the old AI prime on my 13.5 gallon and cannot complain. Almost every YouTuber guide for beginners will say not skimp on lighting, that is the reason I chose the prime for my setup. Hope the best for you and your tank.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money isn’t really the issue, but it’s like everyone loves the ai prime so i wanted to see what others had to say about it. Also if I could save a buck or two Why not . Rather spend the extra cash on corals or such

Understood, but keep in mind they are popular for a reason-- they work very well. Best of luck on your lighting journey!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back