Lighting Recommendation Request

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to see what a good recommended lighting setting would be for my light. I previously used metal halides when I was first in the hobby, and upon returning I have started using LEDs.

Currently I am fish only as the tank is relatively new but the plan will be to add corals in the near future.

I have a 24" cube aquarium and I am using a Radion XR15 Gen 4. I have it set at 50% but I am wondering if this is to high and maybe it should be run at a lower percentage.

What do you run or recommend for a percentage to run the light at?

Thanks

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% is plenty high for fish only and a good spot to start for corals.
Check out BRSTV. They just did a comparison/recommendation video about this topic.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is Bulk Reef Supply.
They do a video series on YouTube under BRSTV
they also have videos under BRS. There are hundreds.
The ones you are looking for at on BRSTV.
You can search within the videos list for videos specific to your lighting

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is fish-only, then just set it to where you like it. You are the only thing that really matters here. Set the color and intensity where you want... a few watts is not going to matter in your electric bill.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is fish-only, then just set it to where you like it. You are the only thing that really matters here. Set the color and intensity where you want... a few watts is not going to matter in your electric bill.
While it is fish only at this current point my plan is within the next few week/months to add some coral and wanted to ensure the settings I am/ will be using would be enough lighting.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the bulk reef supply video like other suggested. They will show various par readings at various settings. Or rent a par meter, set it using that. Without alot of experience in manipulating settings, best to just use the preset profile you like the most. Then use a par meter to decide how intense to set them. If you're keeping sps corals shoot to put them in the 350-400 range, anything else you can save the electricity and fixture life and turn them down to 100-150 par and they'll do fine.

Twisted1990s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spread on the XR15 is 24x24 but thats depending on your height. I would say most people run them at 50-60% for SPS.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back