Lighting recommendations for 29 gal bow reef

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1.5 year old reef tank setup in a 29gal bowfront. I have a Fluval Sea 3.0 ( or 2.0…?) that I’ve had since it’s beginning. Coral growth is slow and I’ve had some corals not thrive. We added a skimmer this year and it’s helped but I’d like to branch out to montipora and other sps but I don’t think our lighting is going to cut it.
additionally with some recent research I realize I’ve been running the lights on a low setting and have since increased it some ( working on slowly changing it)

I have Kenya trees, toadstool leathers, Duncans, and a frogspawn that are doing well. I just obtained a turbinaria (scroll?)

I JUST moved so please forgive the temp aquascaping :)

thanks!

61651FCB-13A2-4A9A-8BBF-404A5DC85EA3.jpeg

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the current usa orbit light. use it on my 20gal with similar corals.
Thank you!
It may be a bit outside my price range as a secondary light, but I’ll keep it in mind. I like that I could focus it to one side if I wanted to keep my softies from getting too much light.

have you heard of the Lumini Astra?

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
It may be a bit outside my price range as a secondary light, but I’ll keep it in mind. I like that I could focus it to one side if I wanted to keep my softies from getting too much light.

have you heard of the Lumini Astra?
personally i haven't. i know some people use black box leds like viparspectra with good results.

Josh Will

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of options. How long is the tank?

Do you want LED for sure? Price range?
I’ve never worked with anything besides LEDS so maybe?
Tank is 24” wide, 13” deep, 19” tall
Price range. Preferably under $100 but I know that I’ll probably need to consider up to $200.

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never worked with anything besides LEDS so maybe?
Tank is 24” wide, 13” deep, 19” tall
Price range. Preferably under $100 but I know that I’ll probably need to consider up to $200.
So I realized today that $200 is not really even enough. New budget is $300. ‍
Thanks for the links ( I figured them out)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of options in that budget, maxspect jump, noopsyche, orphek or3 bars, red sea reef led 50, etc matters the look you want and controllability, personally i use t5 because i dont need extra control (that i will screw up myself)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even at sub 200 there are definitely options like the nicrew led 100 or the smatfarms led, though less trusted brands i have heard good things about the lights

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even at sub 200 there are definitely options like the nicrew led 100 or the smatfarms led, though less trusted brands i have heard good things about the lights

Hey, thank you! These are great recommendations. It’s hard to sift through everything on Amazon so I appreciate it .

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that on a 29 gal bow front about 5 years ago. Two of them. Terrible par from midway all the way down. Those ranks are hard to light because of the center brace. I ended up just hanging a black box over it and was much better off for it.
Yeah with looking into all these lighting options I’m actually considering getting a new tank if I’m going to spend the money on a new light. The brace is always going to be an issue and I’m sick of dealing with it. I can’t center any lights

Back