Lighting Recommendations

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for lighting recommendations for my tank I currently transitioning too. I will be moving over a 36g to a 90g tank next week. My current 36g bowfront has a cheap amazon led light Bozily that works great. I have seen great growth from my zoas, green polyps, pulsing Xenia, and mushroom. However the extra depth in the 90g I believe will reduce the par levels to a point that softies would struggle and sps/lps would not live. I could do 2 x mars aqua or vipraspectra and come out the cheapest with no options and isn’t off the table but looking for other ideas. Currently not really wanting to go much more than maybe 300-400 and a hybrid I’m good with but would rather have 100% LED.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're considering Chinese lights due to budget, I've used Mars Aqua lights in the past and liked them. I will note I was actually using them for a high tech planted tank on a 65 gallon tank, so not saltwater, but a tall tank application. I've also used the Asta 20 which is a kessil knockoff. Again the Asta 20 is freshwater light, but honestly I wouldn't hesitate to try the Asta 120 which is a somewhat controllable SW light. For a 90 depending on what you'd want to keep coral wise you'd want 2-3. If you're going for a fully SPS tank then 4 for sure. But at $150 a piece, they are quite affordable.
Here is a link:

OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after tons of reading I've picked two different lights, however I'm struggling with choosing between the two. I need input on the choice, remember for now I only have softies but hope in time to have a wide range of corals except for the rare/extremely hard to grow. Which would you choose?

1st choice - (2) Ocean Revive T247-B

2nd choice - Aquaticlife G2 T5HO Hybrid LED, (As money allows add 2 AI Primes)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 ocean revives on my 75g and I have been happy with them. I do wish they added a little more actinic led's to add some more glow but other than that they are my go to LED that isn't ridiculously priced.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seriously consider Red Sea's Reef 90 LED. It's fully controllable and has very good PAR. we have it on my daughter's E-170 and I had moved some corals from my tank to hers that were bleaching, they came back even better than before. Red Sea did a lot of research and found corals use the 360-480nm spectrum more than white. So the Reef LED is based on that research.

OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seriously consider Red Sea's Reef 90 LED. It's fully controllable and has very good PAR. we have it on my daughter's E-170 and I had moved some corals from my tank to hers that were bleaching, they came back even better than before. Red Sea did a lot of research and found corals use the 360-480nm spectrum more than white. So the Reef LED is based on that research.

I would need 2 of these fixtures to light my 90g and at $350 a piece it is above my current budget for initial purchase of $400. I do agree Red Sea makes nice products.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are using 4 Ocean Revives for our 300gal. We started with 1 unit over 60gal, 3 units for 220gal & have added units along the way. Now we have 5 total having purchased 1 new & 4 used from the community. I keep one as a spare but we have never used it, & this might be used on a frag tank.

OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 ocean revives on my 75g and I have been happy with them. I do wish they added a little more actinic led's to add some more glow but other than that they are my go to LED that isn't ridiculously priced.

On you 75g does 2 give off enough lighting with little to none no coverage areas? Also how high off the water do you run them, what type of corals are you keeping, and your preferred intensity setting/ color setting?

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval sea 3.0 on my 75g, it’s a nice “budget” light. 2 would be ideal, but my corals are doing well with one for now. Soft and lps corals do well under it, sps do well if placed higher. It sits right on the tank rim (it’s a bar) and has adjustable bluetooth settings and all that. I believe the 48” runs about $250

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On you 75g does 2 give off enough lighting with little to none no coverage areas? Also how high off the water do you run them, what type of corals are you keeping, and your preferred intensity setting/ color setting?

I have them mounted on the brackets. I keep a mix of (non acro sps), lps, and softies as well as anemones. I run blue at 100% on both and have white at 10% for 3 hours but I might increase that duration. I don't seem to have any problems with no coverage as the spread is pretty perfect for standard 75g dimensions

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 53 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back