Lighting recommendations

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Budget Newbie to the hobby, looking for recommendations on lighting for what I hope will be a nice mixed reef. Looking to be cost conscientious, any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’m starting with a 55g with the dimensions listed below.

PisceanIntrovert

B338CD1D-A8F7-4E0F-8486-6B1179535653.jpeg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow cool dimensions!

I would say a 6 bulb t5 fixture. The ATI sun power is awesome but costs a little bit. You could get a cheap fixture on amazon but they are inefficient, don’t last as long, burn bulbs quick ect.

Then there is LED but that will be more
pricey. There is then the amazon leds which are proven to work. The viper spectra is the proven best budget black box led.

T5 is the way to go imo :) best beginner lights

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow cool dimensions!

I would say a 6 bulb t5 fixture. The ATI sun power is awesome but costs a little bit. You could get a cheap fixture on amazon but they are inefficient, don’t last as long, burn bulbs quick ect.

Then there is LED but that will be more
pricey. There is then the amazon leds which are proven to work. The viper spectra is the proven best budget black box led.

T5 is the way to go imo :) best beginner lights
...yes and also those cheaper T5 fixtures don’t do well over saltwater if not raised up or protected ...Ditto to ATI; I owned and recommend, but you mentioned budget and ATI is pricey ...
Also even if T5 tech does hang around, you got a on going bulb replacement cost at 20-25 per

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...yes and also those cheaper T5 fixtures don’t do well over saltwater if not raised up or protected ...Ditto to ATI; I owned and recommend, but you mentioned budget and ATI is pricey ...
Also even if T5 tech does hang around, you got a on going bulb replacement cost at 20-25 per

The bulb cost never exceeds the cost of leds. Leds last around 5 years, most of our hobby leds around salt water last much less.

Thanks! Any pics or links would be great as well and budget wise I’m looking at $200/$300

Vipraspectra led on amazon is what you want, that is too low budget for high end leds or T5 fixture

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t mind could you post a link to what a 4 bulb T5 is, excuse my novice, I’ve tried using a search bar on goggle but want to make sure I’m looking at the right things

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This would be ideal, but any fixture will work, keeping in mind what we said above about performance

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This would be ideal, but any fixture will work, keeping in mind what we said above about performance

If only I could talk my job into giving me a raise I would definitely take the advice given.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thoughts on something like this?

first off, really good scape for a new budget reefer! Anyway, That’s not going to go deep enough. The viparspectre you posted earlier will get the job done, just keep in mind it’ll need to be really far off the water for an appropriate spectrum blend.

I also like the Ocean Revive T247. You’d only need one and can find them on eBay for ~150. You could also try the Noopsyche light. Those pack a lot of punch and you can add another one if you need it.

Maybe a couple of used AI Primes would work well on that tank.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Budget Newbie to the hobby, looking for recommendations on lighting for what I hope will be a nice mixed reef. Looking to be cost conscientious, any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’m starting with a 55g with the dimensions listed below.

PisceanIntrovert

B338CD1D-A8F7-4E0F-8486-6B1179535653.jpeg
Can't go wrong with a Viparspectra 165 or 300 watt. I had the 300 watt on my 46 bowfront reef for 3 years and corals did very well, and just switched to 2 kessils when I had the money.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 107 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 66 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 56 30.3%
Back