Lighting Requirements for BTA?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to eventually get myself a BTA to go with my clownfish, but I want to QT everything going into my DT. I have a 20 gallon tank, filters, etc, but what I don't have is a light. At least not a light capable of sustaining an anenome. Currently just using a pair of white and blue led bulbs for the fish. I know my DT lights can, as the guy I bought them with ran his reef with them.

Any suggestions on a cheap but effective light? Budget of approximately $100CAD.
I was thinking the Coralife Clip On, some reviews say they can grow anemones and coral, some reviews say it can't, but it's right in my price range.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your qt tank is going to be a 10 gallon look into the aquakight led, I’ve kept nems with it with no problems

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that still work for a small BTA you think? I hear they will move to wherever there is sufficient light and current for them, but just want to make sure it would be enough to keep it healthy before I buy anything. Cheapest I can find the Aqua Knight is $130.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly just get a clip on light at home depot with a 6500k bulb and a cheap timer. Naturally spend a few extra dollars on a "nicer" bulb. Led. Done.

Sometimes we over think things. Point it at the bta and don't fry it at first. It will do just fine. A lot of people think 6500k will look odd but it is ok.

No need to buy "fish" stuff for this situation. As a bonus you now have a work light for around the basement when not in use :)

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly just get a clip on light at home depot with a 6500k bulb and a cheap timer. Naturally spend a few extra dollars on a "nicer" bulb. Led. Done.

Sometimes we over think things. Point it at the bta and don't fry it at first. It will do just fine. A lot of people think 6500k will look odd but it is ok.

No need to buy "fish" stuff for this situation. As a bonus you now have a work light for around the basement when not in use :)

I'm already using two clip on lights with A19 bulbs, I'm sure I can find a 6500k somewhere. The light I am currently using is 5000k. Any specific lumens, or I guess that's just a matter of how close it is to the bta.
Thanks, that is super helpful!

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I mentioned 6500k is that, I think, is a common day light bulb that is close to sunlight. A growers bulb. Probably easier to get then 10k. 5k is also fine.

You are basically just doing a spotlight type thing and the bta will soak up the light. But it can also be quite powerful in a tiny tank. Go easy at first!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to eventually get myself a BTA to go with my clownfish, but I want to QT everything going into my DT. I have a 20 gallon tank, filters, etc, but what I don't have is a light. At least not a light capable of sustaining an anenome. Currently just using a pair of white and blue led bulbs for the fish. I know my DT lights can, as the guy I bought them with ran his reef with them.

Any suggestions on a cheap but effective light? Budget of approximately $100CAD.
I was thinking the Coralife Clip On, some reviews say they can grow anemones and coral, some reviews say it can't, but it's right in my price range.

BTA's don't require a ton of light.

Something like this would work just fine for a simple qt tank

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA's don't require a ton of light.

Something like this would work just fine for a simple qt tank

I have a couple small lights like that. Hell, I have a 165 watt grow light that's not being used right now. My only concern would be if I am also QTing a fish at the same time if the light spectrum would bother it or something?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I mentioned 6500k is that, I think, is a common day light bulb that is close to sunlight. A growers bulb. Probably easier to get then 10k. 5k is also fine.

You are basically just doing a spotlight type thing and the bta will soak up the light. But it can also be quite powerful in a tiny tank. Go easy at first!

I am sure I can find something like that, though from the below post my actual grow lights would work just as well. A more white spectrum would probably be a little nicer for any fish in there though. Thanks.

km017544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your qt tank is going to be a 10 gallon look into the aquakight led, I’ve kept nems with it with no problems
Hi mate sorry to jump on I have aquaknight 40w led still haven't figured what light setting to keep on mixed reef, any help will be much appreciated thanks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back