Lighting Solution for my 45 Gal.

thatcoralguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys. This is my first time posting, please be nice as I may ask some dumb questions or whatever. I am in the process of setting up a 45 gallon 36*12, 24 inch tall tank. I am on a tight budget, so the cheapest lighting option is vital. Not looking to keep anything too serious in terms of coral, just some lps and mostly softies. I was wondering if 1 AI 32HD would be enough, or if I should go with two primes. I am willing to get another 32HD, but would need to save for a couple of months so would not happen immediately. Looking to keep upfront costs to a minimum. Anyway don't know if this will even be seen, or if this is just a waste of time to write, but it is worth a shot!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First #Welcome to Reef2Reef!

If you are really on a tight budget, why start with a $360 fixture? Have you looked at the black box fixtures like Mars Aqua or Viparspectra? They produce way more than enough light for the corals that you want. One 32" fixture or two 16" fixtures will be great coverage. Two Mars Aqua fixture should be just over $200. And will be more light than the single AI32HD at nearly twice the cost.

OP
OP
thatcoralguy

thatcoralguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for replying. I did look into the mars aqua but i have very high ceilings, and I could not find a tank side mount for it. I also really like the AI interface and functionality. Would one hydra 32 be enough, or is there a tank mount for the mars aqua that i just cannot find?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back