Lighting switch for 24 gallon?

Faurek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I currently have a 24 gallon cube about to start the proccess of adding coral, currently have 4x 24w t5's and a 50w led light, I had a diy fixture in my past 8 gallon tank.
I'm currently planning on switching to a diy mh/led fixture on my 24 gallon.
Coral Plan:
Acroporas
2/3 birdsnest/stylophora
Gonioporas
A few softies
A few caulerpas

My lighting plan:
1x 150w MH 14/20k

2 diy led panels each for a total of 100w:
6x Royal Blue
6x purple "Full Spectrum", its probably just blue and red and it looks purple
4x 4000k Neutral White
2x Green

or

2 diy led panels each for a total of ~150w:
8x Royal Blue
8x purple "Full Spectrum", its probably just blue and red and it looks purple
4x 4000k Neutral White
4x Green
3x Red
2x Turquoise

The purpose is for it to look purpleish with whiteish, since I really don't like the full blue look. My question is if the second panel wich will total 150w led + 150w MH will be somewhat overkill and I would be fine with the first option with 100w led + 150w MH

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jmo
If you're able to push the Phoenix 14k 150 watt MH bulb. It should have all the power you need (depending on height and hood reflector design) with a nice color spectrum.

I'd start there and add in leds if needed.

OP
OP
F

Faurek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, it makes sense. I don't have access to phoenix mh bulbs in europe as far as I know, I do have cheaper 14k and 20k mh bulbs, one each, to experiment which one I like better and will upgrade further down, I am aware people say phoenix 14k look like 20k.

So basically I could run the mh for all of my light cycle and cut down my leds to half and get like two hours of led visual appeal, I spend most of my day out and come home for only 3/4 hours before sleep, so I could have 2 of those hours just the leds, rest of the day mh on

Back