Lighting upgrade for Fluval Flex 32.5?

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Flex 32.5, it has been running for 2 years now, and for those 2 years, I have used the stock Fluval Marine 3.0 LED that comes with the tank for lighting. It’s performed decent enough, but growth is very slow in my tank so it’s not optimal. To give further background, I have a completely mixed reef of all 3 families of coral, although the only SPS I have are Bird’s Nest and Pocillopora. Nothing that requires extremely high lighting. As of the last month, some of the corals are no longer fully extending, and I’m pretty sure the culprit is the light is finally diminishing in intensity. So I need to upgrade or replace it. I NEED a lid and the only light that fits the stock lid is adding a 2nd Marine 3.0. Now, I’m not opposed to running the double 3.0 set-up, but I’m also aware that they’re not exactly the best lights out there, even if I double the output by doing 2 of them. This is my first ever reef tank, and although after 2 years I’m no longer a complete rookie to all this, I have only ever used this one light, so I’m pretty clueless as to all the other brands/types out there lol. So I’m looking for suggestions for the best type of lighting available if I were to do anything other than another 3.0. But they also need to fall under these requirements:

1: As I said, I NEED a lid. Given that the only light that fits in the stock lid is a 3.0, I’d be willing to build a DIY mesh lid, so that’s no issue.

2: Due to my set-up and location, I can’t do a hanging light set-up, so whatever suggestions are given, I would need to be able to rest it on top of the mesh lid, meaning it would need to be able to get wet like the 3.0 can.

3: For longevity and economics’ sake, I’m really mainly looking for LED suggestions, no T5s or Halides, etc. I know LED lasts the longest and need less frequent replacements.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer with the question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a fluval flex 32.5 and went through an evolution for lights all in one year. I started with the one light, almost immediately added the second fluval. Heat became an issue so I bought lid risers on Etsy. I didn't feel like it was enough par, so I bought a 21LED reef bar pro, which you can use the existing brackets for, so if you want to keep the lid you can use those. I then bought a current USA back of tank mount and some brackets for the Fluval lights and then ran all three lights when I ditched the hood. Now, as of a week and a half ago I now have two Noopsyche K7 Pro3 on back of tank brackets and those work amazing. Currently going to build a mesh top.

My suggestion would be to use a back of tank bracket and mount lights, the air exchange will help with PH and heat issues, but if you want to keep your lid, then the 21LED Reef bar pro is water proof and the best replacement for fluval stock lights.

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval flex 32.5 and went through an evolution for lights all in one year. I started with the one light, almost immediately added the second fluval. Heat became an issue so I bought lid risers on Etsy. I didn't feel like it was enough par, so I bought a 21LED reef bar pro, which you can use the existing brackets for, so if you want to keep the lid you can use those. I then bought a current USA back of tank mount and some brackets for the Fluval lights and then ran all three lights when I ditched the hood. Now, as of a week and a half ago I now have two Noopsyche K7 Pro3 on back of tank brackets and those work amazing. Currently going to build a mesh top.

My suggestion would be to use a back of tank bracket and mount lights, the air exchange will help with PH and heat issues, but if you want to keep your lid, then the 21LED Reef bar pro is water proof and the best replacement for fluval stock lights.

Which color spectrum of the 21LED reef bar did you get? Did you like them, I have had my flex set up for 2 years also and wondering if they are better than the fluval lights.

talsout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which 21LED did you go with? Did you like the light?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back