Lightning recommendations for the $200-$400 range

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now contemplating spending $500-600 now to get something a lot nicer that can help me grow coral and give me all of the features that I desire lol. Seems like most people buy Ai hydra
You don't need to spend a ton of money to grow coral. Used equipment will get the job done. You can always start cheaper and upgrade your lighting as you go.

OP
OP
J

JoeG370Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to spend a ton of money to grow coral. Used equipment will get the job done. You can always start cheaper and upgrade your lighting as you go.
I really appreciate the advice. Ive been reading alot of good reviews about fluval marine too on this site. They are priced at $229 and have all the features I want. I have read that I can always buy other lights to go along with it in the future.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x Nicrew Hyperreef LED 150w.

These two will give you great spread and far more power than you could ever use.

100% = 1000 par on the sandbed
20% = 200 par on the sandbed.

Just run them low. There is only blue and white channel so pretty much set and forget.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to the community and live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I've been a saltwater enthusiast since 2012 and just got back into the hobby because i bought my first home and have a place to set up my tank now. Currently, I have a 75 gallon marineland tank from Petsmart with the basic marineland set up and a fluval fx4 filter. Id love to upgrade to a lighting system that has sunrise/ sunset mode with bluetooth. If you have any recommendations I would appreciate it! Dimensions are 48"L x 21"H x 18.4"W

Also I'm a noob when it comes to lighting.
If you're not a noob I can tell you...
Just get a dimmable 6 bulb ATI Sunpower fixture and call it the best day!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunrise sunset is great so basically u want it on a controller that ramps it up and down...
I will +1 the ati.
The price depends on the size of your tank. 75g marinland is 48" long?
D

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the advice. Ive been reading alot of good reviews about fluval marine too on this site. They are priced at $229 and have all the features I want. I have read that I can always buy other lights to go along with it in the future.
Get 2 if you do

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get 2, 48"-60" Fluval marine 54 W LED's would be good, 7 light channels and Bluetooth, easy to use.

Welcome to R2R and welcome fellow 75 gallon Marineland and FX4 user.

Mood Feel You GIF by doña batata
Jumping on to this. I have the fluval marine 48” bar on my 120. If I was wanting more light would a second one add much par to the deeper areas or just better coverage across the tank

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping on to this. I have the fluval marine 48” bar on my 120. If I was wanting more light would a second one add much par to the deeper areas or just better coverage across the tank
I would imagine mostly better coverage, maybe a slight increase in PAR

OldDadsReef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to the community and live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I've been a saltwater enthusiast since 2012 and just got back into the hobby because i bought my first home and have a place to set up my tank now. Currently, I have a 75 gallon marineland tank from Petsmart with the basic marineland set up and a fluval fx4 filter. Id love to upgrade to a lighting system that has sunrise/ sunset mode with bluetooth. If you have any recommendations I would appreciate it! Dimensions are 48"L x 21"H x 18.4"W

I love my Reef Breeder Photon V2+ 24”in over my 45 gallon Breeder. I have it ceiling mounted about 19” in above the top of the tank. Right at the top of your price range and a very easy to use controller.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While far from my favorite, 2 AI Primes. Another option, just a tad higher would be 2 Kessil 160 Tuna Blues. Kessils wont give a static look to the tank.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4 bulb t5 fixture would be another good option, and it will absolutely grow any coral you want. Suggest ATI blue plus mixed with Coral Plus bulbs.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If considering the AI Hydra, id suggested an extra 50$ and get the Radion XR15. Better spread and less disco ball look inside the tank

sprice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to give a big recommendation to the Reefbreeder Photon v2+ Pros. The new reef nexus controllers that make them the Pro version are incredible, I just upgraded (5) 24s and (4) 32s. Not only does it offer an app for control, is WiFi (control your lights anywhere with internet access), the duty cycle of the lights has changed (PWM driver) with the new controller. My lights used to strobe a little when shooting video, they are rock solid now and everything is even happier. On top of that, Logan’s support is some of the best customer service I’ve ever received.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back