OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an interesting video out there that shows if your reef tank simulates natural light phases of the Sun in the moon your Corals in your tank or more likely to spawn reproduce. Crazy I know right

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Zetlight z6500 and it has leds running on the outside of the light, they call them moonlights and apex see them so I run them

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with cromag...I am selfish too. I don't get home during the week until my day cycle is over, so I run the lunar cycle on my radions so I can enjoy my tank a little in the evening. The fish still go to bed and all the night critters still come out. Even got to watch madarins little spawning dance! I am team lunar cycle all the way!

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone with kessils I've looked around a bit for a clip on lunar light without finding anything that looked solid, if anybody has any suggestions would love to hear them. Still putting together my first tank so can't say if they help or not but like the idea of at least having the option.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone with kessils I've looked around a bit for a clip on lunar light without finding anything that looked solid, if anybody has any suggestions would love to hear them. Still putting together my first tank so can't say if they help or not but like the idea of at least having the option.
I have kessils as well and have thought of adding a ring of these to the end of kessil. Haven't put into action yet and not sure if sizing would fit perfectly, but may be worth a shot. (Also unsure of "blue" spectrum, but there is also a UV option) Could simply add a 12v dc inverter plug to end and be good to go. Also unsure of dimmable options, but at least a place to start.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ed-halo-angel-eye-headlight-accent-lights/49/

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @cromag08 @Bob Escher @Leslie Tabor I run mine on the lunar cycle at 1% to see the tank at night when I am up. It is pretty cool to see what is happening when the day timers are a sleep.

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kessils as well and have thought of adding a ring of these to the end of kessil. Haven't put into action yet and not sure if sizing would fit perfectly, but may be worth a shot. (Also unsure of "blue" spectrum, but there is also a UV option) Could simply add a 12v dc inverter plug to end and be good to go. Also unsure of dimmable options, but at least a place to start.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ed-halo-angel-eye-headlight-accent-lights/49/
Very interesting. Happen to know the Diameter of the kessil 360? I'd be willing to try this.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. Happen to know the Diameter of the kessil 360? I'd be willing to try this.
image.png

102.108mm outside diameter
63.5mm lense diameter

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 or 100 realistically should work. I'd do the 100 depending on depth/height of the leds, to prevent any narrowing of the spread from the lens of the kessil. Let me know if have any ideas on securing to the kessil rim. Gonna think about a way myself as well. Something secure yet not permenent.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moons on from 8pm-12am. 6-8 hours of darkness for corals to be healthy.

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 or 100 realistically should work. I'd do the 100 depending on depth/height of the leds, to prevent any narrowing of the spread from the lens of the kessil. Let me know if have any ideas on securing to the kessil rim. Gonna think about a way myself as well. Something secure yet not permenent.
Very intriguing, thanks for the find. If you end up adding them let us know how it turns out!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No moon for me.
I don't think the average user can or des measure the amount of moon light effectively to make a coral spawn plus in the labs they also use temperature and wave motion on a controller. I totally would do that thought. Maybe next week.
I do run what most would consider a long photo period. 14 hours. 6 am to 9pm. Later if the ai controller is acting up. :)
That's actually a summer day.
But. I do set that ramp with a meter. The am and pm ramp don't exceed 2 par. Or a couple hundred lux. I don't start the true light cycle till 9 am. And it ends at six. My 40,000 lux peak is is really only six hours.
And I get the ramp down and the expensive royal blue led pop I paid for on the couch for two hours till 9. Been thinking about going longer till ten. but programming is annoying.

The ai controller does have the moon thingy built in though you just pic Fiji Australia or Indonesia and set the level.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back