OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm up bc I can be. Me and my future wife don't have a kid this weekend and we watched 3 days to kill (new movie on netflix), then have been talking up a storm. She got tired so I made a vodka tonic and headed for the computer.

My first MACNA will be next year and the talks is what I'll be there for. I'm not spending any money on livestock now until I get the DR set up.

I do have my orbit 36-48" LED from my first tank I could toss on the DT to provide some moon lighting. I started another thread about adding LEDs to my T5 fixture to get some ideas. SB Reef Lights has the most affordable and quality option out right now IMO. I want something that can be programmed and I don't have a controller right now.

https://sbreeflights.com/11-sbar-supplimental-lights

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SB does all that for you including moon. Mine does. I have the 16 on th cube.
just not the real ai controller pretend your a biologist moon light program. My ai sol do that. It's Weird. Seriously.
I'd save the current for the fuge. Then you don't have to look at the light. Well your lady won't.
Fwiw the SB and the orbit are about the same color.

Me. I have freakin insomnia. The nightcap don't work. Twice.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SB does all that for you including moon. Mine does. I have the 16 on th cube.
just not the real ai controller pretend your a biologist moon light program. My ai sol do that. It's Weird. Seriously.
I'd save the current for the fuge. Then you don't have to look at the light. Well your lady won't.
Fwiw the SB and the orbit are about the same color.

Me. I have freakin insomnia. The nightcap don't work. Twice.
The blue spectrum put out by LED monitors reduces the body's natural melatonin levels, that's why some folks get a second wind when they veg out on reef2reef late night. Random food for thought

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or the last tv show I worked on was all nights. For weeks. Close to three months. :mad:

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived in Joshua Tree for 15 months traveling for work. I visited SD once and it was amazingly beautiful. Oceanside is #1 on my list to retire to. I miss California and all the fresh produce. Pink Lady apples and small farm peaches would make go into a frenzy when I ate them... good times out there.

In regards to moonlight, JT had a clear sky 365 dpy. There was a guy who lived in SoCal w/ an 800 gallon reef that had his frag tanks outside for natural sun. I wonder if he were to be out in the desert where the moon shines real bright, if he could've had some coral spawning. I know his clams all spawned one night and nearly nuked his tank. Eliminate technology and let nature take over, hmm...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my system set for moonlight from 7pm-11pm. Strictly for my enjoyment.

Specs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @cromag08 @Bob Escher @Leslie Tabor I run mine on the lunar cycle at 1% to see the tank at night when I am up. It is pretty cool to see what is happening when the day timers are a sleep.
I saw this was an old thread but was curious what lights your using? Been thinking about adding some since I usually get home at the end of the light cycle.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this was an old thread but was curious what lights your using? Been thinking about adding some since I usually get home at the end of the light cycle.

i have used apex lunar lights in the past. i currently have a steve’s led on my biocube 32 and i can turn the blues low enough at night.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lights out for me!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are known to spawn in response to phases of the moon. I imagine you’d need something that replicated these phases rather than just a low, constant level. The apex LSM attempts it, as does radion. Whether it is enough to prompt spawning I cannot say. I use LSM and my corals don’t spawn. Moonlight does not mean better growth.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run the royal blue spectrum at %1 on my Hydra 26 HD's via the AI app.:)

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light cycle noon till 10pm (that includes 2 hour ramp up / 2 hour ramp down), then 1% blue from 10pm till 8 am, which is when the room is naturally lit.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back