Limited CUC options - Advice

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a questions that is bound to generate some polarized comments. Here in New Zealand we can't get the Clean Up Crews some of our foreign reefers have access to. We are mostly limited to Stomatella, Trochus and Turbo snails with very few options of shrimp. We pay about $15 US per snail so CUC can be expensive and currently, with international shipping limited, there is limited stocks.

So my situation is I have ended up with two pairs of clowns and have set up a small nano tank to house one pair that might breed. The rock is cycled by has nothing but bacteria. I am practising ich eradication so I cannot add snails for 76 days. My main display only has 2 snails after a snail die off (different problem) but does has lots of bristle worms.

My questions is - If I cannot get snails to add my Nano, would adding Bristle worms be a good option as a CUC to assist is removing uneaten food. ??

Cheers
Al

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah bristles do a good job and can self regular population. However they serve different purpose than snails - snails eat algae, bristles dont

OP
OP
AllanPritchard

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't get urchins?

We can sometimes get the Black Long Spine Urchin ($65 us) currently none in stock in NZ that I can find and maybe a big big for a 16inch cube?.

Any crabs? Hermits or emerald work very well (not on glass though).

We can import the jeweled anemone hermit crab but once again I can't find any in stock they seem to be pretty rear here for some reason.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly hi there,hope all is well with yourself and family.
My first thought was you need to open a reef shop and / or online and get intouch with the exporters in countries where they come from naturally.and get these cuc members and sell to the masses.
But then second thought came which is if it could of been done then someone would of already done it lol ^_^
Im not sure why in england or america or other countries literally other side of world can get it and new Zealand cannot as you definately closer to tropical coral reefs than myself ha ha.
Maybe its because of covid as you mentioned currently international shipping limited so if it this reason.
Another option would be to look for tank breakdowns and ask them people if you could buy some livestock off them.maybe you get lucky.
This is providing that all the cuc members you want and cant get at the moment,at one time ypu could get them,and others so you buy off them after they quitting hobby and selling everything.
Good luck anyhows

OP
OP
AllanPritchard

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly hi there,hope all is well with yourself and family.
My first thought was you need to open a reef shop and / or online and get intouch with the exporters in countries where they come from naturally.and get these cuc members and sell to the masses.
But then second thought came which is if it could of been done then someone would of already done it lol ^_^
Im not sure why in england or america or other countries literally other side of world can get it and new Zealand cannot as you definately closer to tropical coral reefs than myself ha ha.
Maybe its because of covid as you mentioned currently international shipping limited so if it this reason.
Another option would be to look for tank breakdowns and ask them people if you could buy some livestock off them.maybe you get lucky.
This is providing that all the cuc members you want and cant get at the moment,at one time ypu could get them,and others so you buy off them after they quitting hobby and selling everything.
Good luck anyhows

Hi Thanks, I hope your friends and family are well also.

I would love to start a Reef shop, there is only one true marine retail shop in the South Island of NZ and only a few in the north island.

We cannot get as many species here because our government has very strict importing rules to prevent disease. On top of this with the strict rules and quarantine times, it makes importing very expensive in NZ. Maybe I should start a cold water tank, we are surrounded by ocean but its only 11 deg.

Tank tear downs is a good idea, I will keep a look out on the local FB pages. The issue with my situation is I am practising ich irradiation so any inverts have to be QT for 76 days even if I find some.

Cheers
Al

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back