Limpet infestation

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't mind a couple limpets. I don't want my rock to get sealed over with coraline, I just want patches of coraline.

Manual removal of the ones on the glass, and see if anybody local wants them before killing them. It's not their fault you don't like them.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mind a couple limpets. I don't want my rock to get sealed over with coraline, I just want patches of coraline.

Manual removal of the ones on the glass, and see if anybody local wants them before killing them. It's not their fault you don't like them.
Mine came in on live rock from gulfliverock.com
So if you need some hq rock, hitchhikers with benefits.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, I'd love to order some good live rock and have it shipped in water, it'd get so much good stuff! But I have nowhere to put it. I got rid of a couple of limpets (gave them to my LFS) because I couldn't find out what species they were and wasn't sure if they were reef-safe, so now I'm on the lookout for a confirmed reef-safe species.

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how these guys would ship in a little water and no heat packs. If anyone wants them, please feel free to stop by and get as many as you want LOL.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how these guys would ship in a little water and no heat packs. If anyone wants them, please feel free to stop by and get as many as you want LOL.
As I said earlier, I got mine as hitchhikers on live rock I had shipped.
The rock was wrapped in wet paper towels and was in transit for 3 or 4 days.
They must be hardy

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a lot of that is tiny tube worms. Do you have a magnifying glass, to check the dots? I have a lot of Limpets, plenty of Coraline Algae, and 10’s of thousand tiny tube worms. The underside of my rock looks fuzzy, from all of the tube worms.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anything that will kill limpets will probably kill just about anything else on the rock. Might not even get the limpets, they can clamp down and hide from noxious substances.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's just going to make everything sort of unhappy but not dead. Manual removal is really your best bet.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could make Limpet Ceviche: 1 cup of Limpets mixed with 1/2 cup freshly squized lime juice. Marinate overnite. You can add green onions and cilantro.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that has 100's of keyhole limpets from tiny to about 1/8 of an inch. How do I irradiate them. Really hate the way the way they look all over the glass and rocks.

I have a few fish, corals and rock with good coralline algae, would a freshwater bath kill the limpets but leave the algae covered rocks unscathed? I know the corals can't have a freshwater bath but the other rocks might.

Thanks

Troy
Just send me some. There are wrasses that might eat them. You might be able to find other fish that eat them. Try and find a natural eradication alternative. Whatever else you do, absolutely do NOT freshwater dip your rocks. You’ll destroy EVERYTHING on your rocks including your cycle.

Edit: it seems this is an antique thread. Sorry I missed that.

Last edited:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Potassium Permanganate dip kill the limpets?
Strong oxygenator Hmmm!!! :thinking-face: But if you can pull them out to dip them why use a oxydizer to kill them . Just collect them and take them to your lfs , Or sell them . I wouldn’t suggest treating the tank with it either .

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get rid of them?
I did not eradicate them but by lessening the amount of food at feeding time and a better cleaning regiment, I have greatly reduced their numbers. Looks better now with a few but not a complete forest of them.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back