Limpet snails reef safe? Not this one.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I noticed a limpet snail really close to my red planet. Next day the flesh was all messed up in that area like road rash. So ok I thought ok maybe the shell scraped it. So few days later a milli frag near by had same tissue dmg. So I looked under magnifying glass no bugs/fws. Ok hmm so last night I spotted a big limpet completely on top a small frag of efflo knowing limpets are near impossible to pull off I pulled it out of water and quickly the limpet ran off and the frag was white flesh all gone. So either the limpet was eating the flesh or just in his search for algae his powerfull suction ripped flesh off. Either way all limpets are now banned to sump.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the mistake and ordered "reef safe limpets" off eBay. Wrong rookie mistake many years ago. Banished mine to the sump until they had babies that made it to my display. Then I had many tiny tiny baby ones even harder to see and pull off. Might reconsider

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came in as hitchhikers when I started my 10g tank over a year ago. As babbies nvr had any problems till now. What did they do to you Devon? Same thing?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple in my tank, and I've never seen them even get close to a coral. Always on the glass or on the rock. I might need to start paying more attention.

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came in as hitchhikers when I started my 10g tank over a year ago. As babbies nvr had any problems till now. What did they do to you Devon? Same thing?

Yes they did. At first they didn't eat anything important but then the babies got a taste for blood. I resorted to using my finger and crushing the shells. As babies they are really soft. Pulling them off is almost impossible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I ripped one off and it torn the meat apart started oozing. It didn't wanna let go even if it meant death lol.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 26 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back