Lincoln's Reef

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by smilinteddy, Jun 3, 2019.

1. smilinteddy

smilinteddy Active Member

After many years out of the hobby I am happy to be getting back in and the impetus has been my son Lincoln. He is only 4 months old, but he has already exhibited a fascination with ocean life and fish. My wife suggested we get him a "gift that will keep on giving" by setting up a tank for him, and I was more than happy to oblige.

We have set up an IM nuvo 30L aio that we bought second hand from a local reefer. I also obtained two AI hydra 26 HD's for lighting. I envision this thread being a tank thread but also a place to document the journey of helping my son to develop a love and respect for the ocean and the hobby of reef keeping.

2. Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Glitter Fairy Hospitality Award

Following along for your journey :) Please share with us as many pictures as possible, we go crazy for pictures ;)

Salty Lemon and NY_Caveman like this.
  3. smilinteddy

Here is the tank. IM nuvo 30l AIO. Came with tank, stand, skimmer, media reactor, pumps, ato etc. [​IMG]

4. smilinteddy

Two bags of live sand should do it.[​IMG]

5. smilinteddy

Water, live sand, rock (mix of dry and established live rock), and a helping of Dr. Tim's one and only reef starter.[​IMG]

6. smilinteddy

Some blue leg hermits to get the party started.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. smilinteddy

Lincoln loves his two new mocha clownfish tank inhabitants. We have dubbed them Admiral Gordon Ramsay and Lady Eleanor. We will wait for them to figure out who is who.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. samnaz

samnaz Earthling R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

following :)

NY_Caveman likes this.
  9. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman "listen to the colour of your dreams” R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Awesome images!

10. ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Nuvo 30l crew represent!

Looking clean so far.

So how exactly do you have you filtration compartment set up?

Salty Lemon and samnaz like this.
  11. smilinteddy

Thanks

Right now I have filter socks in the outside chambers, a media reactor in the right inside chamber, and the skimmer (not running yet) in the inside left chamber.

I've been thinking about getting an intank media basket or fuge basket to replace the filter socks on one or both of the sides, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

12. ReeferReefer

What skimmer are you running?

13. smilinteddy

Haven't flipped it on yet, but i think it's the midsize older generation aquagadget skimmer. I had a power strip that was supposed to arrive today which would have allowed me to get it fired up, but it didn't come today because Amazon lies.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    ReeferReefer likes this.
  14. smilinteddy

I took some pics this morning of how things are set up. My ATO will be feeding into the center return pump chamber, but I don't have it hooked up yet (waiting on power strip). It came with an old school ATO like the one I had on my tank 15 years ago... So I may be swapping that out for something a bit more reliable (something with an optical sensor and some built in redundancy like the tunze osmolator)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ReeferReefer likes this.
  15. ReeferReefer

Awesome shots. You could always go with the intank filter floss holders over the media baskets if you wanted a more budget option.

16. smilinteddy

I considered that, or doing one of each. I'm not loving these filter socks, that's for sure.

17. Bob Weigant

Bob Weigant Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I hoping this goes for at least 10 years. Fun to watch the little guy enjoy the tank

18. smilinteddy

New piece of kit. Added an American dj AC power center to replace my lame power strip that I was using just to get things started.

This is such a great thing, and if I can figure out a way to mount it in the cabinet it will be even better. It makes things way neater in my cabinet, has 8 usably spaced outlets (even with a couple transformer power brick items) and allows for individual power control for each plug.

The channels are set up like this for anyone interested:
    1. AI Hydra 26 HD
    2. Empty (future home of my second hydra once additional tank mounts come)
    3. Return pump (mighty jet)
    4. Skimmer
    5.Jebao wavemaker pump
    6. IM minimax media reactor
    7. ATO (currently tsunami AT-1, but I would like to switch to something with optical sensor and redundancies)
    8. Heater[​IMG]

19. ReeferReefer

They work fine but they are hard to clean for sure. The media racks are nice since you can put some carbon in them or something.

20. smilinteddy

I hope so Its really uncanny how much he enjoys the tank. The other night my wife said he was really fussy and the only thing that calmed him down was sitting in front of the tank with him and letting him watch the fish.

Draft saved Draft deleted