Lincoln's Reef

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many years out of the hobby I am happy to be getting back in and the impetus has been my son Lincoln. He is only 4 months old, but he has already exhibited a fascination with ocean life and fish. My wife suggested we get him a "gift that will keep on giving" by setting up a tank for him, and I was more than happy to oblige.

We have set up an IM nuvo 30L aio that we bought second hand from a local reefer. I also obtained two AI hydra 26 HD's for lighting. I envision this thread being a tank thread but also a place to document the journey of helping my son to develop a love and respect for the ocean and the hobby of reef keeping.

OP
OP
smilinteddy

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank. IM nuvo 30l AIO. Came with tank, stand, skimmer, media reactor, pumps, ato etc.
c5a0bc786e977a6a985a6710b2c77b71.jpg

OP
OP
smilinteddy

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuvo 30l crew represent!

Looking clean so far.

So how exactly do you have you filtration compartment set up?
Thanks [emoji4]

Right now I have filter socks in the outside chambers, a media reactor in the right inside chamber, and the skimmer (not running yet) in the inside left chamber.

I've been thinking about getting an intank media basket or fuge basket to replace the filter socks on one or both of the sides, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

OP
OP
smilinteddy

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't flipped it on yet, but i think it's the midsize older generation aquagadget skimmer. I had a power strip that was supposed to arrive today which would have allowed me to get it fired up, but it didn't come today because Amazon lies. [emoji13]

Last edited:
OP
OP
smilinteddy

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuvo 30l crew represent!

Looking clean so far.

So how exactly do you have you filtration compartment set up?
I took some pics this morning of how things are set up. My ATO will be feeding into the center return pump chamber, but I don't have it hooked up yet (waiting on power strip). It came with an old school ATO like the one I had on my tank 15 years ago... So I may be swapping that out for something a bit more reliable (something with an optical sensor and some built in redundancy like the tunze osmolator)
90e2b95ea88bb9dc095d50db4f376ff3.jpg
320ea57bcc2fa6e97b27ed2308626738.jpg
ba0fd947d51ed462cc2bab701e5d6a99.jpg

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome shots. You could always go with the intank filter floss holders over the media baskets if you wanted a more budget option.

OP
OP
smilinteddy

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome shots. You could always go with the intank filter floss holders over the media baskets if you wanted a more budget option.
I considered that, or doing one of each. I'm not loving these filter socks, that's for sure.

OP
OP
smilinteddy

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New piece of kit. Added an American dj AC power center to replace my lame power strip that I was using just to get things started.

This is such a great thing, and if I can figure out a way to mount it in the cabinet it will be even better. It makes things way neater in my cabinet, has 8 usably spaced outlets (even with a couple transformer power brick items) and allows for individual power control for each plug.

The channels are set up like this for anyone interested:
1. AI Hydra 26 HD
2. Empty (future home of my second hydra once additional tank mounts come)
3. Return pump (mighty jet)
4. Skimmer
5.Jebao wavemaker pump
6. IM minimax media reactor
7. ATO (currently tsunami AT-1, but I would like to switch to something with optical sensor and redundancies)
8. Heater
b2e5d2b412e8446cfa5c1e2d69339895.jpg

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered that, or doing one of each. I'm not loving these filter socks, that's for sure.

They work fine but they are hard to clean for sure. The media racks are nice since you can put some carbon in them or something.

OP
OP
smilinteddy

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hoping this goes for at least 10 years. Fun to watch the little guy enjoy the tank
I hope so [emoji4] Its really uncanny how much he enjoys the tank. The other night my wife said he was really fussy and the only thing that calmed him down was sitting in front of the tank with him and letting him watch the fish.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back