0   0   0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says site cant be reached for me.
But i know in caribean they wasnt natural to that geographical area but someone years ago must of let one free in tue sea they thinking and they reproducing at an alarming rate and divers go down and kill them often.
Watched a documentary on it years ago and they trying find ways of fishing them and restaurants popping up in some countries in carribean and serving them as food.
Been a long time since watched it but pretty sure story goes like above plus alot more

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw something the other day where they’re teaching sharks and eels to eat them, lol.
Yeah, jiggle on a spear and attract big predators including groupers. See this technique used in Fl and the Carribean

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their range I have read goes from Maine down to Brazil and into the Gulf as far west as Texas. Several theories about their introduction and spread, and if I remember correctly a DNA-based study concludes that four individuals washed out of a backyard tank during Hurricane Andrew and started at lot of this problem in Florida. They have had a major negative impact on many reefs, eating game fish. That said, Andrew Zimmern filmed a special in Key West about how to prepare and eat them and at one time several large grocery chains featured them.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their range I have read goes from Maine down to Brazil and into the Gulf as far west as Texas. Several theories about their introduction and spread, and if I remember correctly a DNA-based study concludes that four individuals washed out of a backyard tank during Hurricane Andrew and started at lot of this problem in Florida. They have had a major negative impact on many reefs, eating game fish. That said, Andrew Zimmern filmed a special in Key West about how to prepare and eat them and at one time several large grocery chains featured them.
This is very interesting! I never thought about the creatures that escape from aquariums or ponds during disasters like hurricanes and the resulting impact on the environment because of their escape. I've seen programs about how much damage lion fish are doing to areas they aren't native to but that's probably the case with any invasive species (animals and plants).

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting! I never thought about the creatures that escape from aquariums or ponds during disasters like hurricanes and the resulting impact on the environment because of their escape. I've seen programs about how much damage lion fish are doing to areas they aren't native to but that's probably the case with any invasive species (animals and plants).
Yes, our Department of Natural Resources recently found snakeheads in a stream in Metro Atlanta area; probably released by a "pet" owner when it outgrew its tank or food budget. https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-are-snakeheads?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

BTW, given the cold weather in Toronto you probably won't see many of them slithering across the ground!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have them in at Wegmans from time to time. They are tasty...
I agree!!

I had some lionfish a couple years ago visiting family down south. It was very good!

I wish they would have it in supermarkets up north where I live. It would certainly add some variety to the day in day out same old stuff we get here.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, our Department of Natural Resources recently found snakeheads in a stream in Metro Atlanta area; probably released by a "pet" owner when it outgrew its tank or food budget. https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-are-snakeheads?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

BTW, given the cold weather in Toronto you probably won't see many of them slithering across the ground!
We have our fair share of creatures released by irresponsible pet owners but nothing related to natural disasters. If Lake Ontario ever flooded and took over my house the creatures in my freshwater tanks could pose an environmental risk and the goldfish in my pond would certainly be a problem. Added to that my fw tanks are coldwater so the inhabitants would have no trouble making it through our winters. The only ones that wouldn't do so well are my salty guys! I just read an article about a pond in BC that is in one of the parks and supposedly people have been dumping their goldfish there. Now the pond is overflowing with them. Supposedly it's isolated from any streams and rivers bit there is a river close to it. Now they're concerned that if the pond overflows during a storm the goldfish could get washed into the river. The article ended with "they're studying the problem". I don't know how much studying it takes. I'd be getting them out of there ASAP because if the problem of the pond overflowing has the slightest chance of happening then you know it will happen at some point.

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it in Florida. You get a three prong head to go on spear fishing pole and fire away. Only problem is finding them and getting them in the bag without a sting. I know a guy in Florida if anyone is interested.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have our fair share of creatures released by irresponsible pet owners but nothing related to natural disasters. If Lake Ontario ever flooded and took over my house the creatures in my freshwater tanks could pose an environmental risk and the goldfish in my pond would certainly be a problem. Added to that my fw tanks are coldwater so the inhabitants would have no trouble making it through our winters. The only ones that wouldn't do so well are my salty guys! I just read an article about a pond in BC that is in one of the parks and supposedly people have been dumping their goldfish there. Now the pond is overflowing with them. Supposedly it's isolated from any streams and rivers bit there is a river close to it. Now they're concerned that if the pond overflows during a storm the goldfish could get washed into the river. The article ended with "they're studying the problem". I don't know how much studying it takes. I'd be getting them out of there ASAP because if the problem of the pond overflowing has the slightest chance of happening then you know it will happen at some point.
Yes, gonna need an armada of nets. So many invasive species have been introduced to different ecosystems without a full understanding of the consequences, such as European rabbits brought to Australia as food and later escaping to become a real threat to the environment, reticulated pythons released into the Everglades by naive, "kind hearted" snake owners, and, of course, the car eating species of Kudzu imported from Japan for erosion control and which is now so prevalent in the South, lol.

1633549550069.png

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it in Florida. You get a three prong head to go on spear fishing pole and fire away. Only problem is finding them and getting them in the bag without a sting. I know a guy in Florida if anyone is interested.
Yeah, my friends and family use big pvc pipes to stuff them into after spearing.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, gonna need an armada of nets. So many invasive species have been introduced to different ecosystems without a full understanding of the consequences, such as European rabbits brought to Australia as food and later escaping to become a real threat to the environment, reticulated pythons released into the Everglades by naive, "kind hearted" snake owners, and, of course, the car eating species of Kudzu imported from Japan for erosion control and which is now so prevalent in the South, lol.

1633549550069.png
You're not kidding about "car eating". That is a crazy picture! What's so ironic is that most erosion issues are man made to begin with and in this case they have to deal with an invasive species that will continue to grow beyond the area that's eroding! Maybe lion fish will eat it. ;-)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a very bad invasive species in Florida. I’ve seen them numerous times while freediving for lobsters in 5-20ft nothing big enough to eat but I have seen them. I have friends who go out specifically for them and come back with coolers full most days. They are delicious when cooked correctly (most things).

They’ve been here since 92’ with hurricane Andrew. I never noticed any till about 10 yea go I seen my first wild one. Btw they are now illegal to sell in Florida for aquariums if I’m not mistaken.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back