Lionfish and tankmates

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering how ya'll decide whether or not a fish is big enough not be eaten by a lion. I understand that certain body types are better to avoid predation. "Tall laterally compressed" What about a Harlequin Tusk shape or a Goby shape?
Ex. Could an 8.75 inch lion eat a 4.5~inch tusk or a 7~inch diamond Goby?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could they eat them, yes. Would they eat them... depends. The tusk sounds perfectly edible. Perfect size, shape and swims out in the open. The lion would be less likely to eat the goby.

OP
OP
Mistborn

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could they eat them, yes. Would they eat them... depends. The tusk sounds perfectly edible. Perfect size, shape and swims out in the open. The lion would be less likely to eat the goby.
That's about what I was thinking. Looks like I'll be growing out my tusk for a bit longer then.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long skinny goby could be Good Eats. Depends on the lionfish's mouth size, and the girth of the tusk. I had a mandarin goby in with a large lionfish for years.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I predict the goby will be safer is because they are on the bottom. Anything that uses the water column to hang out in will be at a greater risk.

OP
OP
Mistborn

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, I THINK my tusk would be okay to join the lion, but I'm kinda iffy on it. The tusk is pretty fat lol.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it would fit the dimensions of the lionfish minus the fins, then it would fit in the lionfish.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 114 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back