Lionfish sting

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a dumb a**, finally happened after all these years. I got stuck by my zebra lionfish. My lions are very friendly, I've even hand fed them. I have to shoo they away all the time I'm doing maintenance. They've brush my arm time and time again, swimming by. The antenatta is constantly swimming by, the volitan almost as bad, always needing to park by whatever I'm doing. This was just a bone head move, I went in with a pair of tongs to grab a piece of debris at the mouth of one of the caves. Jammed my middle finger and index finger right into the zebra, perching just above the opening of the cave.

Felt like a sharp jab, like anything sharp going into your flesh. I quickly ran to the sink and ran and soaked in the hottest water I could stand. The throbbing came a minute later, reminiscent of slamming your fingers in a car door. Then a tightening and possibly the burning from the hot water. A couple of hours later there's a raw tingly sore feeling. Not near as bad as I had feared.

013.jpg

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hot water probably was one of the best things you could do. Many Marine venom's, (and those from Lions and Scorpions are in this group) are lessened by heat. The hot water denatures the proteins in the venom and makes them unable to bind to the pain receptors in your nervous system.

Glad you're not seriously injured.

ReefCAKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that not fun at all! Glad it seemed to be mild for you. I got hit by a foxface many years ago when I worked at a LFS and it wasn't fun.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back