Lionfish sting?

mdavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This afternoon I went out to my aquarium and noticed my clown tang in the bottom corner where he likes to swim up and down. I happened to see my lionfish was crowded in the corner with him and my tang looked like he was trying to swim forward and back. Did my lionfish get him? If so I know it wasn't on purpose. They actually get along pretty well.

20220504_213609.jpg 20220504_213530.jpg

OP
OP
mdavi

mdavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my tang seems a little lethargic and as seen really tore up. I have moved him to QT.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lionfish sting would display as a puncture or a scratch of sorts. Unless the fish is in poor health or the puncture is deep in the internal organs most fish seem to recover fine and seem mostly unscathed. The only time I've seen a lion do real damage is in self defense with a deep puncture in the abdomen area, you'll see an inflamed red puncture wound, or even multiple punctures. The spikes can also cause a cut that is usually superficial. A deep puncture poisoning can cause lethargy but as you've described being torn up, it doesn't sound like a lionfish sting.

OP
OP
mdavi

mdavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lionfish sting would display as a puncture or a scratch of sorts. Unless the fish is in poor health or the puncture is deep in the internal organs most fish seem to recover fine and seem mostly unscathed. The only time I've seen a lion do real damage is in self defense with a deep puncture in the abdomen area, you'll see an inflamed red puncture wound, or even multiple punctures. The spikes can also cause a cut that is usually superficial. A deep puncture poisoning can cause lethargy but as you've described being torn up, it doesn't sound like a lionfish sting.
He was kind of wedged between the lion and the glass and kept trying to move forward and back. Those two get along well so I don't think he was "stung" on purpose. Maybe accidental scratching from being wedged? Is that a possibility? It does look like scratches but a lot of them. I looked really hard and all I see is superficial and no punctures (thats at least a good thing i guess)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience wounding from a lion has always been defensive. It would not be characteristic for a lion to repeatedly scratch or otherwise attack another fish.

Try and get a clearer photo as it looks to me their fins are torn and there may be something else going on. How long have they been in the tank.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor thing looks almost done for. Agree, lions sting is defensive. Lion would have just swallowed him if he wanted. Curious how that fish got into such bad shape.

Last edited:

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like some serious aggression, nothing like that would come from a lion. Lions are actually quite wimpy fish, that's what the spines are for. Would be helpful to know what else is in the tank livestock-wise.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We Hunt Lionfish in Roatan with a spear gun, then cook them and eat them.

Hope this helps

They destroy Reefs!!

Humans destroy everything and created the invasion problem to begin with, humans destroy the natural balance then blame something else for their destruction.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the full stocking list plus the spiny box puffer and blueline trigger?

I am currently looking for ideas and suggestions for my 150g aggressive tank. I so far have:

Clown tang
Hybrid PB + GR tang
Sailfin
Dwarf Lion
Leaf Scorpion
Humu humu
Snowflake eel
Ghost eel

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back