Liquid Phosphate Remover Dosing Calculator

Which liquid phosphate remover do you prefer?

• Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™

Votes: 57 23.5%
  • Brightwell® Aquatics Phosphat-E

Votes: 109 44.9%
  • Two Little Fishies PhosBan®-L

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Bulk lanthanum chloride

Votes: 22 9.1%
  • Other (respond in thread)

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • I don't use a liquid phosphate remover

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Acrylic Tank Manufacturing Agent Green™

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a calculator to help with dosing the right amount of some of the popular liquid phosphate removers that are based on lanthanum chloride (Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™, Brightwell® Aquatics Phosphat-E, Two Little Fishies PhosBan®-L, and Acrylic Tank Manufacturing Agent Green™):

http://larryl.emailplus.org/fish/dosing-instructions-phosphate-removers.html

Hope you find it helpful.

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I had not heard of Agent Green before. Do you know (or have a link to) dosing instructions? I'm having trouble finding any online.

It’s 1 ml per 10 gallons to remove 1ppm po4

Dexter_SA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant you put something together for diy lanthanium chloride? Maybe to mix stock solution and then how much to dose?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant you put something together for diy lanthanium chloride? Maybe to mix stock solution and then how much to dose?

I give up. I keep on trying the math and always end up at 0.00276 ppm of PO4 removed in 1 ml/gallon and I’m I’m sure that’s not right.

Last edited:

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a calculator to help with dosing the right amount of some of the popular liquid phosphate removers that are based on lanthanum chloride (Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™, Brightwell® Aquatics Phosphat-E, and Two Little Fishies PhosBan®-L):

Thanks for this calculator, Larry.
It makes it a lot easier to determine how much to dose moderate amounts (ie dosing for .1 PPM reduction instead of .5 PPM or higher).
I can see from your calculator where I previously od'd with Phosphate RX, causing my Yellow Tang some stress.

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes it a lot easier to determine how much to dose moderate amounts (ie dosing for .1 PPM reduction instead of .5 PPM or higher).

Thanks, glad you think so.

I can see from your calculator where I previously od'd with Phosphate RX, causing my Yellow Tang some stress.

Sorry to hear about your tang. That's the reason I started working on a calculator in the first place - it's easy to get the math wrong, and there's not a lot of room for error especially if you are dosing into a smallish tank or trying to remove only a little phosphate.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, glad you think so.
Exactly

Sorry to hear about your tang. That's the reason I started working on a calculator in the first place - it's easy to get the math wrong, and there's not a lot of room for error especially if you are dosing into a smallish tank or trying to remove only a little phosphate.

Dexter_SA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mix 15g Lanthanium chloride to 500ml rodi water. But in all honesty i have no clue how much to dose to achieve a certain goal. so i just thumb suck it and test. if phosphates are at the desired level i just stop to dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the calculated dose determined? By assuming all lanthanum ends up as lanthanum phosphate?

I suspect that is what manufacturers do, and if so, it is likely an underestimate of the amount needed.

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the calculated dose determined? By assuming all lanthanum ends up as lanthanum phosphate?

I suspect that is what manufacturers do, and if so, it is likely an underestimate of the amount needed.

The calculations are based only on the manufacturer's dosing instructions. I agree those probably assume 100% efficiency and so are probably conservative, but I didn't want to be responsible for recommending something different than what the manufacturers recommend. I've seen lots of posts about people overstripping phosphates, so it might be better to be a bit on the conservative side anyway.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculations are based only on the manufacturer's dosing instructions. I agree those probably assume 100% efficiency and so are probably conservative, but I didn't want to be responsible for recommending something different than what the manufacturers recommend. I've seen lots of posts about people overstripping phosphates, so it might be better to be a bit on the conservative side anyway.

Sounds good.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a calculator to help with dosing the right amount of some of the popular liquid phosphate removers that are based on lanthanum chloride (Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™, Brightwell® Aquatics Phosphat-E, Two Little Fishies PhosBan®-L, and Acrylic Tank Manufacturing Agent Green™):

THHANK YOU! My head was spinning trying to calculate dosage to lower from 0.08 to 0.03 using Brightwell.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make a Lanthanum remover that I sell. I calculated the dose as Lanthanum Phosphate and in the tests I made it seems to fit with the Hanna ULR values. I have not sold many but the calculation seems to work for the customers too.
Never add more than that takes away half the phosphate value You have measured. Never use Lanthanum for values under 0,1 ppm phosphate.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back