List the top controversial reef keeping practices

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What counts as a realistic smallest size for a sustainable tank. Currently investigating the possibility of a 1liter windowsill tank using a tiny pump as only hardware, and largely pest inhabitants. (it's doing quite well for so early on)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"...and on this special episode of Maury, it's time for "I've got a secret"! Linda says she hasn't tested her parameters or done a water change for five years...and has a thriving acro tank!" (audience gasps)

Also: the insistence that clownfish host anything themselves (except brooklynella).

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be or not to be hamlet GIF by paidoff

1) skimmer vs canister

2) instant ocean vs every other brand

3) what is the correct Alkalinity.... and how to test for it.... brings out the Alk-Snobs

4) sand bed vs bare bottom

5) how often to do waterchanges, if any (?)

6) should you dose two part?

7) refugium vs none

8) Chinese led lights vs more expensive brands

9) Rimless tanks vs braced tanks

10) THE TANG POLICE.... yelling at everyone on how, what, when, where and how much....in owning tangs

TANGPOLICEj_2.jpg

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not forget:

1) Hands vs. Feet: how often have you put them in your aquarium?

2) Aiptasia vs. Majanos: which one looks better dyed with food colouring?

3) Protein skimmer trials: should I get my kid to dump in a box of detergent or a can of flakes in my display?

4) I know that oolite looks nice, but won't cement give me an even finer grade of substrate?

5) Healthy fish in tank vs. dead, framed taxidermied fish on wall

6) flakes vs. filet mignon: what's best for my tang?

7) My neighbour called the tang police on my sexy shrimp...and I ended up with a convict tang! When your tank needs a cover

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip cycling. Any form of reefing where you do not ‘wait’ to begin because not anything good happens fast in reefing, ever, not ever it can’t be attained.

five hundred instant reef owners and sellers at aquashella, reef stock and MACNA the last thirty years who did not have to show up 30-90 days early with table shrimp and a written permission letter from api ammonia and nitrite want us to keep thinking that way.

skip cycling is NOT for forum reefers don’t do it, you’re not able. It will all die, you can not, retire the option, get your debit cards out instead for something from a bottle. You will proceed hesitantly and with fear and regard in all cycling settings, you can not rush Mother Nature

D73B068C-5BD3-4D02-85C8-A75ACD829C67.jpeg

everybody knows a reef convention cycle only holds seven days/ length of the convention. timed to go one day further and its pure doom.

skip cycling is not for forum reefers, we will kindly ask that you buy bottle bac for every action in reefing. if your tank does literally anything untoward we ask that you input cycling bacteria due to a clear deficit.

Last edited:

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impact of stray/induced voltage/current in a tank. (still don't know what side I am on)

Sterile dry rock and a year plus of maturing vs live rock and dealing with pests

I'm pretty sure fish don't feel the stray current going through the water. Here is my rationale:
In the winter, when my hands develop cracks in the skin from the dry air, I get a burn/sting at that cut in the skin when sticking my hands in the water. If I turn my T5 lights out, it is much less worse. If I get off the concrete floor, or put rubber sole shoes on it is much less worse.

The above tells me there is stray current in my tank when I reach in and make a connection to ground. I get a painful sting/burn. I'm clearly making an electrical connection from ground to the water and current is flowing through me. However, the fish don't physical jump - - but I do! They have no sympathy for me. Now, here is the kicker. As painful as it is, if I force myself, or plunge my finger in the water and get them below the surface fully, I do not feel any sting/pain. This might suggest the stray current/voltage is at the surface only. Once my hand is fully submerged, that cut in my fingers feels no pain. If my other hand (no cuts, no pain) is in the water, and I put the hand with a cut in the water slowly, that cut stings/burns until fully submerged. BTW, these "cuts" are like paper cuts or nearly invisible.

So, I don't think our fish feel the current - - unless we are passing them through the surface in a net or dropping them in.

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% water changes (the kind where your coral is exposed to air)

Manual / Spot treating algae (pull your rock and apply hydrogen peroxide to the stuff you don’t like)

Feeding dried vs frozen vs live
...link this in with a discussion about disease management if you want a really exciting thread

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres this guy by me that renames all the corals he has when they're orginally from JF, WWC, TSA etc etc... then drives up the price.

Now I understand hes trying to run a business but give credit where credit is due...

Im mentioned it to him and his excuse is "Well they're mine now so I rename them and charge my prices"

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, not sure that most of the things folks have mentioned are actually controversial practices. What salt one chooses is simply a choice. Now, if somebody claimed to be keeping inverts using table salt; well, that'd be controversial. Seems to me that the QT/no-QT gets a lot of debate (thought here are nuances to the debate), as does (well, maybe used to) damsel cycling a tank. More recently the scrubbing bubbles thing struck me as controversial .... actually struck me as idiotic, but I try to be understanding. Also the skimmer must match the return pump myth that never survives any actual logic but persists regardless.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres this guy by me that renames all the corals he has when they're orginally from JF, WWC, TSA etc etc... then drives up the price.

Now I understand hes trying to run a business but give credit where credit is due...

Im mentioned it to him and his excuse is "Well they're mine now so I rename them and charge my prices"
But that's just consumer stupidity though isn't it. What was the line from the classic ELO song .... 'a fool and his money soon go separate ways' LOL.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum I guess I violate a lot of thes, Lol but it has worked out for the best maybe not in the 70's but by the 80's been pretty good LOL

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back