Literally just staring at your tank for hours

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright so does anyone find themselves gazing at their tank for hours on end? Like sometimes I’ll just walk by it and see something and then bam it pulls me in and next thing I know, 3 hours have flown by!!! My gf is trying to tell me this is not normal and that I’m obsessed!! Come in fellow reefers let me hear your experiences!!

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! All that time that people say you need to spend doing stuff on your DT. I don’t see it, but I do spend hours looking for stuff, finding stuff, and looking for the next thing. Almost 3 years in,, and I’m still looking. Stare. I stare, and stare, and stare again. Toast one, and stare again
Be sure to do a night dive hours after lights are out. A small flashlight, and you’re good to go!

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At night time I like just looking in my tank. Seeing where all the fish hunker down, watching all the hermit crabs come out and do their thing, seeing all the micro feather dusters come out. Even my dog occasionally will just stare at me tank and occasionally be will jump up and scratch at it if my fish swim by fast. Lol my dog understands me more than my people do!!!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it all the time too. My favorite might be the morning when my tank is being hit with full on sun. The fish just look amazing under sunlight, and the corals although obviously not as colourful are also nice and full of polyp extension in the early morning. I do all of my target feeding in the morning instead of the night because of this and so throughout the day they are extra puffy.

One thing I learned after having my tanks in the basement for 10 years plus is having the tank in a room where you are a lot anyways makes it so much better. My reef is in the dinning room so not only me but my wife will notice small bits of growth or other changes since we look at the tank while we eat. My desk is also nearby. When the tank was in the basement I'd go down and watch it for 20 or 30 minutes a day but now I see it all throughout the day.

I also have my fowlr in the living room so I'm looking at my lionfish from time to time when I'm on the couch watching tv. The reasons for these tanks being in their rooms is largely based on their footprint but the fowlr is less captivating so it's more of a secondary source of entertainment in the living room where as the reef is in the dinning room / office area so its the centerpiece of entertainment.

Jay1661

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, same thing happens to me. I spend at least an hour a day just gazing into my Nano tanks. Always finding new critters and learning. Can’t imagine how long I’d gaze if I had a much larger tank.

Back