Litermeter 3 for larger volume water changes?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing that there will be a good bit of sticker shock involved. :(

I am also. But that is for everything today. I purchased 25 sheets of 16 ga galvinized for a project at work and it was $1.05 per pound a year ago it was less then $0.50.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really unfortunate. I used to be able to order their pumps and ATOs from Marine Depot to at least save a few bucks from their really high shipping charges. Then I noticed that after their last price increase a little over a year ago, they only sold those items directly. Now with this latest price gouge, it may be time to seek alternative options. It’s a shame really. I’ve been a loyal Spectrapure customer and proponent for many years.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Looks like they are still cleaning out the the site.

ATO - Gen7 system last year $203

1621264410467.png

ATO - Gen7 this year $300

1621264453414.png

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run the Spectrapure AWC system along with their ATO? I just placed an order for the LM3, remote module and the overflow sensor to get set up with AWC. I would like to change 4L daily on my total 100g system. I'd also like to add their ATO without removing saltwater and pumping in RODI.

Otherwise in worst case I let AWC system work while I'm home and only use ATO and disconnect AWC system when I'm away from home.
I use Spectrapure's liquid level controller to automatically fill my ATO container, it works flawlessly and is hooked directly up to my RODI unit. For what it costs it's amazing! While I don't have direct experience with the LM3 I know ppl who use it for larger volume changes over great distances and they swear by it. I myself will be getting one when I'm ready to do AWC... while it's a tad more expensive than some systems all of Spectrapure's equipment does not rely on you having a controller to use them. Solid company with a solid rep for equipment that lasts.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Litermeter 4 is now available

1622551473478.png

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you buy a controller and pump separately it's less than the starter kit.

$540 vs 580

The auto top off unit isn't really needed. I used a LM3 for years based off evaporation rate.

Those look like standard plugs/power supplies for the pumps. I'm wondering if you could just hook up some less expensive pumps from another brand. That could save about $200

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm just going to buy 2 pumps and run them through my controller.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy a controller and pump separately it's less than the starter kit.

$540 vs 580

The auto top off unit isn't really needed. I used a LM3 for years based off evaporation rate.

Those look like standard plugs/power supplies for the pumps. I'm wondering if you could just hook up some less expensive pumps from another brand. That could save about $200

The kit comes with a liquid level sensor also. I have not seen them individually on the website.

I think the litermeter4 is off my list to purchase. The increased price and the decrease in warranty from 5 years to 1 year.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The kit comes with a liquid level sensor also. I have not seen them individually on the website.

I think the litermeter4 is off my list to purchase. The increased price and the decrease in warranty from 5 years to 1 year.
Yes that's why it costs more. My suggestion is you don't need the sensor. If you just buy a slave pump and do your water top off based on evaporation calculations you don't need the sensor.

The pump alone without a sensor is 260.

I don't trust sensors of any brand...........just an item I will never use.
----------------------------------------

I understand the cost factor and it does suck they dropped their warranty to a year.

I am still wondering about using an $80 peristaltic pump of another brand as I think all those power supplies are standard.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

I'm definitely turned off too. Maybe I get lucky and spot LMIII for sale somewhere.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely turned off too. Maybe I get lucky and spot LMIII for sale somewhere.

The reduction in warranty is a bigger deal to me then the price. To me that says Spectapure thinks it lower quality and expected warranty claims to be to high if they continued the 5 year warranty

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The reduction in warranty is a bigger deal to me then the price. To me that says Spectapure thinks it lower quality and expected warranty claims to be to high if they continued the 5 year warranty

That's like if Abyzz lowered their 10-year warranty to 1 or 2 years. People would think twice about spending that kind of money. Length of warranty shows how well the manufacturer thinks of its own product and affords comfort to the end-user should something go wrong. Going from 5 to 2 year makes one think that the quality of the product has really gone down and the manufacturer just doesn't want to deal with issues past the initial 24 months post-purchase.

I guess comparing to some other manufacturers it's still 2 years vs 1 but if you're going to charge so much more money one would expect an unchanged length of warranty.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's like if Abyzz lowered their 10-year warranty to 1 or 2 years. People would think twice about spending that kind of money. Length of warranty shows how well the manufacturer thinks of its own product and affords comfort to the end-user should something go wrong. Going from 5 to 2 year makes one think that the quality of the product has really gone down and the manufacturer just doesn't want to deal with issues past the initial 24 months post-purchase.

I guess comparing to some other manufacturers it's still 2 years vs 1 but if you're going to charge so much more money one would expect an unchanged length of warranty.

It looks like a nice system though. The non contact level sensor would eliminate a lot of the possible errors and would be easy to install.

Litermeter 4 is only 1 year

1622816619931.png

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was a disappointment of epic proportions... I was all pumped (get it) on getting a Liter Meter 4 when i first heard of it. I was holding off on the 3 just because of the forth coming 4. Then I saw the price and if wt(F) wasn't appropriate enough for that, the warranty... i mean common Spectrapure. Their brand loyalty from me took a nose dive after that.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was a disappointment of epic proportions... I was all pumped (get it) on getting a Liter Meter 4 when i first heard of it. I was holding off on the 3 just because of the forth coming 4. Then I saw the price and if wt(F) wasn't appropriate enough for that, the warranty... i mean common Spectrapure. Their brand loyalty from me took a nose dive after that.

I had the same reaction. I have always used Spectrapure for my RODI but will going to something else when I am out most likely. Not sue I am getting any extra value when purchasing a Spectrapure Select membrane over the standard filmtech 75 gpd membrane.

I also have a system at work not sure what we will do there.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use their liquid level senors for auto top off of my ATO. I like most of their products tbh. But this was just a huge swing and a miss for them. The 3 was still a stretch at the price it was. But say you didn't have a controller or didn't want to over use your current one for control I could get maybe spending the $500+ it still cost you. But with the 4 you're almost flirting with $800. For what? The value isn't there in those pumps at $250.... No stepper motors, no precision control needed anyhow for that application. Just don't see it. With the warranty it now joins the ranks of over priced reef garbage in my book.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back