Little Bugs on glass?

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi, I left on vacation for 5 days. Had a ATO and auto feeder and everything went well. Came back and I see these little bugs crawling around the glass. Not sure if they are copepods or not or if the vacation correlates to these. If anyone can tell me if they are harmless and what they are it would be appreciated. Thanks

I am aware the videos are bad and ai will try to get better ones.

image.jpg

Attachments

• 69488322712__D0F1D4EA-3469-4933-A77C-32BBE3FAB2DB.MOV
    1.6 MB

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi, I left on vacation for 5 days. Had a ATO and auto feeder and everything went well. Came back and I see these little bugs crawling around the glass. Not sure if they are copepods or not or if the vacation correlates to these. If anyone can tell me if they are harmless and what they are it would be appreciated. Thanks

I am aware the videos are bad and ai will try to get better ones.

image.jpg

They look like copepods to me, but the video quality is a little blurry. Maybe try to get a higher resolution video and post it to YouTube, then link it here. Seems to help me on video quality also.

Have you ever stocked copepods? Did you start with live rock? If it is copepods, they seem to move like them, you seem to have a good population. Any fish in the tank, how long has it been running?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
They look like copepods to me, but the video quality is a little blurry. Maybe try to get a higher resolution video and post it to YouTube, then link it here. Seems to help me on video quality also.

Have you ever stocked copepods? Did you start with live rock? If it is copepods, they seem to move like them, you seem to have a good population. Any fish in the tank, how long has it been running?
It has been running few months coming up on a year. I have never stocked copepodes so no idea from where they showed up. My camera won’t focus on them so the resolution won’t help. There are a few fish in the tank.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It has been running few months coming up on a year. I have never stocked copepodes so no idea from where they showed up. My camera won’t focus on them so the resolution won’t help. There are a few fish in the tank.

Gotcha, most likely you had pods that hitchhiked over on live rock, algae, coral frags. If you don't have any fish that eat them, they could have just been growing. They're good a cleanup crew and if you have certain fish, they'll eat them all day. We stock our 65-gallon with copepods for our wrasses and mandarin dragonet.

All the copepods on the glass in our tank look like little white specs moving around. I'm pretty sure what you showed are copepods as well.

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar deal recently. Never stocked the tank with copepods. And recently noticed a similar sighting a few months back. Now the tank has been up and running over 10 years so my guess is they hitched a ride in somewheres in time

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Ok thanks. There seem to be 2 different types of things on the glass. The bugs that are moving and are thin and longer and some nonmoving ones that are more ovalish and bigger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 56

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok thanks. There seem to be 2 different types of things on the glass. The bugs that are moving and are thin and longer and some nonmoving ones that are more ovalish and bigger.

See if you can get a picture with white lights on. That way everything is a little bit clearer also. Not sure what the oval things may be yet. Are they just stationary and not moving at all? What color? Maybe algae growing on the glass?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
See if you can get a picture with white lights on. That way everything is a little bit clearer also. Not sure what the oval things may be yet. Are they just stationary and not moving at all? What color? Maybe algae growing on the glass?
Yeah dont seem to be moving. Not sure what color, they are dark. I dont think it is algae based off positioning and the other creatures on the glass but could be.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah dont seem to be moving. Not sure what color, they are dark. I dont think it is algae based off positioning and the other creatures on the glass but could be.
Kind of looks like flatworms from the outline. Crank white to 100% and then take pic. Makes pics a little clearer, as the camera can focus easier.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Kind of looks like flatworms from the outline. Crank white to 100% and then take pic. Makes pics a little clearer, as the camera can focus easier.
The moving ones seem to have disappeared as lights came on but here is a photo I got of the nonmoving ones.

Attachments

• 7C08A228-832D-405F-A23D-DAD82738FAE7.jpeg
    7C08A228-832D-405F-A23D-DAD82738FAE7.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 52

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The moving ones seem to have disappeared as lights came on but here is a photo I got of the nonmoving ones.

Yup, can definitely see them now, I think they're Acoel flatworms? Someone with more experience may give a better ID on them. Some wrasses will eat them, and dragonets will also, I think.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Flat worms. Almost look like acoel, so google that and compare.

Also look at planaria flatworms or google

“flatworm reef tank” should pull up ton of pics and allow you to ID them.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yup. Flat worms. Almost look like acoel, so google that and compare.

Also look at planaria flatworms or google

“flatworm reef tank” should pull up ton of pics and allow you to ID them.
Cool thanks so much. Is this a problem if I am transferring corals, rocks, fish, and sand to a new nano?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
From what I see, maybe it is best to get a small wrasse for the tank for a while to clean them up. Is this correct?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks so much. Is this a problem if I am transferring corals, rocks, fish, and sand to a new nano?
Acoel are usually not an issue. Others can be big issues. Best is to ID them first and then we can go from there on treatment. If moving, dips can remove them and scrubbing coral skeletons can remove eggs. There are also chemical treatments, but I only recommend those if bad ones and they are really bad infestation. Most time some elbow grease can get rid of them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back