Little help with my nems!

tactical_XJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m a little worried about my nems in my fiancé’s Biocube, I have 3 large Sherman’s 2 green bubble tips and 1 green with orange tip (small) nems, but my green ones seem to have started loosing there green color to something not eye appealing, they have been moving around my fiancé’s Biocube like they are nascar drivers and haven’t seemed to find a spot, it’s been more then 2 months of there race around the tank and seems to be no end, what im
Worried about are my anemones being at the very top of the tank I’m guessing they are trying to get more light, I am currently running an AI prime HD, I’ve recently turnt up the power of the lights, I’ve kept them at the same power for a few months Incase of algae growth. These are the nems in the tank super close to the surface of the water, and the last is the setting for the light after I changed the power up more.
4995D950-379E-4DB4-800D-8DD0EACA654C.jpeg
FC9F5103-AF27-4545-8AC7-FC558BBA6359.jpeg
64C200D2-8D8F-4CED-9437-FE45F557FA4C.png

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have nem guards on your powerheads, if they stay at or near the top & keep moving they could end up in one. Don't know much about the Bubbletips but color looks pretty good to me. I know they deflate & tend to move around until they find the right spot. Let's see if we can get you some help
@ReefSquad

OP
OP
tactical_XJ

tactical_XJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have nem guards on your powerheads, if they stay at or near the top & keep moving they could end up in one. Don't know much about the Bubbletips but color looks pretty good to me. I know they deflate & tend to move around until they find the right spot. Let's see if we can get you some help
@ReefSquad
i have 1 power head in the tank which is not hooked up due to them moving around so much, I don’t want it to get sucked into it.

OP
OP
tactical_XJ

tactical_XJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? Sometimes they loose color when you get them and it can take a while to re color back up.

They look pretty healthy to me
I’ve had the Sherman’s for almost a year now, got 1 Sherman and it split 2 extra times already, and the green bubble tip about 3 months and that one has already split also.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the Sherman’s for almost a year now, got 1 Sherman and it split 2 extra times already, and the green bubble tip about 3 months and that one has already split also.
If they keep splitting then I would think theres no issues other then they haven't found a home yet. What has happened since they originally got set & started splitting, any changes to the tank inhabitants, lighting, flow, etc.

OP
OP
tactical_XJ

tactical_XJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they keep splitting then I would think theres no issues other then they haven't found a home yet. What has happened since they originally got set & started splitting, any changes to the tank inhabitants, lighting, flow, etc.
Only thing that has changed is somehow they killed 4 different clowns in less then 3 weeks, and I added some more rocks to give the green ones a home, I did add the wave maker but with the green ones moving around the whole time
I’m worried about it getting sucked into it and killing it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cut up a fish net. Zip tie it around the powerhead.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing that has changed is somehow they killed 4 different clowns in less then 3 weeks, and I added some more rocks to give the green ones a home, I did add the wave maker but with the green ones moving around the whole time
I’m worried about it getting sucked into it and killing it.
That's good but there are guards out there that should fit or do what @Katrina71 posted

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lighting schedule looks short for nems. Mine like at least 8 hours of light.

Agree- Short and not intense enough. I run the BRS settings full strength in a shallower tank then yours (12"). That keeps my BTA's settled in one spot. I would start slowly ramping your light up over the next couple of weeks....

OP
OP
tactical_XJ

tactical_XJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree- Short and not intense enough. I run the BRS settings full strength in a shallower tank then yours (12"). That keeps my BTA's settled in one spot. I would start slowly ramping your light up over the next couple of weeks....
Last night I turnt the lights up more, I’ll add about2 or 3 more hours of full power to them

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it gradually. Nems are sensitive you don't want to blast them with too much.

OP
OP
tactical_XJ

tactical_XJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it gradually. Nems are sensitive you don't want to blast them with too much.
I’ve been doing that for some time now, the ai primes were about 85% power but it was only for about 6 hours only, I gave it a few more hours and between last night and today they already look better

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back