Little microscopic creatures on glass

whoisLP

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2017
Messages
27
Reaction score
15
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm performing my initial cycle on my first tank (32gal), and am about a week and a half in. I looked at my tank last night and I saw a few small, almost microscopic white dots on my glass. While staring at them, I noticed that they were actually moving. So I did some research online and saw mixed posts regarding these. Some said they were just small crustaceans that the fish actually like to snack on, others stated they can be controlled by adding more salt, and some others mentioned that they were small parasites and if not controlled right away, will invade your tank. Not sure who to believe so I'm hoping I can get some feedback from you guys. Thanks.

*Sorry about not having a pic, almost impossible to take a good focused picture with them being so small.
 
They are most likely Copepods and are perfectly fine. A good sign of a healthy tank.
 
Are these the one that you have ?
that's a harmless, beneficial munnid isopod

Pods.jpg
 
Most reefers tend to be overly paranoid. You are trying to replicate an ecosystem so there should be many "levels " of life in your system. I'm not a fan of the "sterile" set ups that many are using. I take a more "natural " approach, no rock cooking etc. both methods work, just my preference.
 
Most reefers tend to be overly paranoid. You are trying to replicate an ecosystem so there should be many "levels " of life in your system. I'm not a fan of the "sterile" set ups that many are using. I take a more "natural " approach, no rock cooking etc. both methods work, just my preference.

Rock cooking?
 
Are these the one that you have ?
that's a harmless, beneficial munnid isopod

Pods.jpg

So I guess they started off as little tadpole looking things, but now they look more like your pic. Glad they are beneficial though!
 
Are flatworms bad? They look a LITTLE like this but not certain if that's what they are.
these are not bad, they eat algae , eventually fish will eat them
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new