Little microscopic creatures on glass

whoisLP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm performing my initial cycle on my first tank (32gal), and am about a week and a half in. I looked at my tank last night and I saw a few small, almost microscopic white dots on my glass. While staring at them, I noticed that they were actually moving. So I did some research online and saw mixed posts regarding these. Some said they were just small crustaceans that the fish actually like to snack on, others stated they can be controlled by adding more salt, and some others mentioned that they were small parasites and if not controlled right away, will invade your tank. Not sure who to believe so I'm hoping I can get some feedback from you guys. Thanks.

*Sorry about not having a pic, almost impossible to take a good focused picture with them being so small.

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are most likely Copepods and are perfectly fine. A good sign of a healthy tank.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these the one that you have ?
that's a harmless, beneficial munnid isopod

Pods.jpg

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reefers tend to be overly paranoid. You are trying to replicate an ecosystem so there should be many "levels " of life in your system. I'm not a fan of the "sterile" set ups that many are using. I take a more "natural " approach, no rock cooking etc. both methods work, just my preference.

OP
OP
whoisLP

whoisLP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reefers tend to be overly paranoid. You are trying to replicate an ecosystem so there should be many "levels " of life in your system. I'm not a fan of the "sterile" set ups that many are using. I take a more "natural " approach, no rock cooking etc. both methods work, just my preference.

Rock cooking?

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not cooking with heat. acid or bleach washes to kill whatever may be in the live rock.

OP
OP
whoisLP

whoisLP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these the one that you have ?
that's a harmless, beneficial munnid isopod

Pods.jpg

So I guess they started off as little tadpole looking things, but now they look more like your pic. Glad they are beneficial though!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back