Live food supply chain

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would give some solutions when/if your supply line of live food collapses. I'm presently in a precarious position, hurricane Ian has effected me all the way in NV. My ghostie, molly, and guppy supply comes from FL, as I'm sure most of it does. I know my main ghostie farm was hit hard, I'm not sure how long it will take to recover. This is obviously a great time if your pred happens to also eat dead food. There are some possible solutions if you find yourself in this position.

The only ghostie alternate is going to be expensive, you can offer a peppermint or a camel shrimp, be mindful of size. These guys are alot more elusive and can be tricky and escape to a crevice, so have a feeding stick handy to assist in herding if necessary, and try and target release. Obviously try and find an alternate source for mollies or guppies, they may be easier to find from other sources. You can also offer fancy guppies. You can also safely and even occasionally in any other time offer a platy. Some lfs may offer what they call "live bearer feeders", those would also be fine.

DO NOT offer rosies, rosies have a chance of causing bloat and death. While some have debated me because "they fed a rosie and their fish didn't die". I have dissected fish after dying, after eating rosies, and saw with my own eyes; perforated stomachs and digestive track, undigested rosie bent in an unnatural way in the gut. So something CAN happen in the gut with rosies, I've seen it enough, that, I would not risk it. Personally I would NOT offer salt water fish, there is always a chance of disease, enough of a chance that I wouldn't take it. The very, very last resort; I actually would feed a goldfish if I was sure they would starve if I didn't, sized appropriately obviously. There are nutritional reasons for not feeding goldfish regularly, so don't do it, but this is life or death.

Remember these guys do naturally live on a fast/gorge feeding cycle, so they can safely go a couple of weeks without eating, depending. Little itty bitty guys are more of a concern, and eels can go much longer.

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would give some solutions when/if your supply line of live food collapses. I'm presently in a precarious position, hurricane Ian has effected me all the way in NV. My ghostie, molly, and guppy supply comes from FL, as I'm sure most of it does. I know my main ghostie farm was hit hard, I'm not sure how long it will take to recover. This is obviously a great time if your pred happens to also eat dead food. There are some possible solutions if you find yourself in this position.

The only ghostie alternate is going to be expensive, you can offer a peppermint or a camel shrimp, be mindful of size. These guys are alot more elusive and can be tricky and escape to a crevice, so have a feeding stick handy to assist in herding if necessary, and try and target release. Obviously try and find an alternate source for mollies or guppies, they may be easier to find from other sources. You can also offer fancy guppies. You can also safely and even occasionally in any other time offer a platy. Some lfs may offer what they call "live bearer feeders", those would also be fine.

DO NOT offer rosies, rosies have a chance of causing bloat and death. While some have debated me because "they fed a rosie and their fish didn't die". I have dissected fish after dying, after eating rosies, and saw with my own eyes; perforated stomachs and digestive track, undigested rosie bent in an unnatural way in the gut. So something CAN happen in the gut with rosies, I've seen it enough, that, I would not risk it. Personally I would NOT offer salt water fish, there is always a chance of disease, enough of a chance that I wouldn't take it. The very, very last resort; I actually would feed a goldfish if I was sure they would starve if I didn't, sized appropriately obviously. There are nutritional reasons for not feeding goldfish regularly, so don't do it, but this is life or death.

Remember these guys do naturally live on a fast/gorge feeding cycle, so they can safely go a couple of weeks without eating, depending. Little itty bitty guys are more of a concern, and eels can go much longer.
Thank you for those options! I am glad I ade this thread so I can keep all this straight and easy to find if it ever comes to it. We hot lucky and picked up about 35 small to pregnant sized mollies for $15 "adoption" so I'm pretty stoked. Wilson moved to his tank, still in the acclimation box, til tonight when I get home from work. I don't know now, I just wanted to make sure his transition went well haha but I'm so excited!!

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this cutie! What an upgrade! I feel like I'm going to lose him! We fed him a molly last night before we released him but I am feeling less than confident of his hunting skills. Could they ever just not know how to hunt?
Also, must be able the worst pictures ever taken! I'll try to get better ones. He's been hiding most of the day today.
20221010_233408.jpg 20221010_233421.jpg

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this cutie! What an upgrade! I feel like I'm going to lose him! We fed him a molly last night before we released him but I am feeling less than confident of his hunting skills. Could they ever just not know how to hunt?
Also, must be able the worst pictures ever taken! I'll try to get better ones. He's been hiding most of the day today.
20221010_233408.jpg 20221010_233421.jpg

Getting them fish may prove a bit tricky, you may have to use a herding or net method. Herding by using a feeding stick, I use a clear airline tube from the lfs, use the stick to herd the molly towards him so he can catch them. Net method by putting the molly in a net and lifting open the net to allow him to catch them, I think you could find a demo on this on youtube. I hand feed my rhino, by holding a molly in my hand I release them in his face, he will literally hop up to my hand and wait for me to release. Once he gets his confidence you will be amazed how quick and capable he is, eventually you will be using the stick to block him from being such a pig. Feeding ghosties is easy, just dump a few in, he will find them, you can also herd them too. Keep mixing in the dead food also.

You may want to black out the back of your tank, it gives them a sense of security, as they will not have to watch for other predators from all sides.

Last edited:
Back