Live foods from supermarket? HELP

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I was shopping for food at my local Jewel-Osco and saw in the fish department they had live blue point oysters, littleneck clams and mussels and was thinking of getting some for my Reef lobster. That being said I wasn't sure if it would be safe to add them into the lobsters tank. The lobster lives in a 10 gallon macro algae lagoon style tank, there aren't any fish in there and only some mushroom corals, a rock anemone, mangroves and caulerpa Mexicana. Would it be safe to give the lobster some live stuff from there or would there be a high risk of disease/parasites? If safe, how would I do it successfully?

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, totally fine! Whenever I buy shrimp for family dinner, I slice a few small pieced for anemones. Angels love littleneck clams from the supermarket. I have a preference for wild-caught vs farm-raised.

Whatever they don't eat in the first 30 minutes or so, just remove from the tank. Serve raw on the half shell.

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, totally fine! Whenever I buy shrimp for family dinner, I slice a few small pieced for anemones. Angels love littleneck clams from the supermarket. I have a preference for wild-caught vs farm-raised.

Whatever they don't eat in the first 30 minutes or so, just remove from the tank.

But these are Live. Do I have to worry about special acclimation or extra petty prevention or cleaning?

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't be alive after your lobster gets to them! As for cleaning, just make sure chunks don't get stuck in the tank and go uneaten. Acclimating isn't needed.
Sweet! I think the lobster will be extremely pleased haha

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I was shopping for food at my local Jewel-Osco and saw in the fish department they had live blue point oysters, littleneck clams and mussels and was thinking of getting some for my Reef lobster. That being said I wasn't sure if it would be safe to add them into the lobsters tank. The lobster lives in a 10 gallon macro algae lagoon style tank, there aren't any fish in there and only some mushroom corals, a rock anemone, mangroves and caulerpa Mexicana. Would it be safe to give the lobster some live stuff from there or would there be a high risk of disease/parasites? If safe, how would I do it successfully?

Totally off topic but your tank sounds amazing. Can you share a picture?

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but has your lobster eaten any of the corals or macros? Mine eats fish, corals, and macros so his tank is a bit.... desolate.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please share a pic of your tank.

There are a lot of people who do just this.

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally off topic but your tank sounds amazing. Can you share a picture?
Nothing too special lol. I need to top it off, but other than doing top offs and feeding the lobster, I let the tank do it's own thing! Sand all blew to the right side, no corals will grow in this tank except for mushrooms "not sure why", and I just take some of the macro out every now and then but mostly let it do its thing since the lobster likes to hide anyways

IMG_5373.JPG

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but has your lobster eaten any of the corals or macros? Mine eats fish, corals, and macros so his tank is a bit.... desolate.
Corals nope, macro I doubt it but can't confirm or deny for sure lol. Fish, thats a hardcore yes. Originally he was in my 55 gallon mixed reef and one day I noticed my new jawfish was missing, well I turn the lights on and theres the the jawfish being eaten alive by the lobster, tail first, still gasping for breath. I tried to save him but he didn't make it :( it was so sad but cute when I pulled him out he opened his mouth and went limp so I thought he died, but then I put him back in water and he was fine. Turns out when removed from the water he would play dead, it was adorable. But in the end I couldn't save him. Within a week I set up this 10 gallon specifically as the lobsters solitary confinement prison cell LOL "He's happy though"

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals nope, macro I doubt it but can't confirm or deny for sure lol. Fish, thats a hardcore yes. Originally he was in my 55 gallon mixed reef and one day I noticed my new jawfish was missing, well I turn the lights on and theres the the jawfish being eaten alive by the lobster, tail first, still gasping for breath. I tried to save him but he didn't make it :( it was so sad but cute when I pulled him out he opened his mouth and went limp so I thought he died, but then I put him back in water and he was fine. Turns out when removed from the water he would play dead, it was adorable. But in the end I couldn't save him. Within a week I set up this 10 gallon specifically as the lobsters solitary confinement prison cell LOL "He's happy though"
Looks to me like a pretty decent cell.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My children of the sea, are considered some of the most delicate and sensitive creatures in the sea. Dendronephthya AKA Carnation corals. 90 gallon water volume and the system right now has 60 + oysters. No issues had most of them for a month , I just added 24 of them 2 days ago

Screenshot_20200808-195844.png IMG_20200803_210836478.jpg

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My children of the sea, are considered some of the most delicate and sensitive creatures in the sea. Dendronephthya AKA Carnation corals. 90 gallon water volume and the system right now has 60 + oysters. No issues had most of them for a month , I just added 24 of them 2 days ago

Screenshot_20200808-195844.png IMG_20200803_210836478.jpg
LOVE Dendronepthyas! So you just bought the oysters at a supermarket then too? Now I'm curious, whats your idea of putting them in the Dendro tank??

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOVE Dendronepthyas! So you just bought the oysters at a supermarket then too? Now I'm curious, whats your idea of putting them in the Dendro tank??
Yes, from supermarket but brand is Azul Sol from Baja. Other oysters may do.
Oysters are amazing they filter your water they also remove heavy metals and many pollutants in ocean or in a bay. Besides filtration in a closed system, the waste from them, feeds my corals and helps them thrive.

2 of 43 carnation corals aka dendronephthya spp. From beautiful island of Tonga

IMG_20200812_085104251.jpg 1656507-15fe09b23481695fe6c61ab212f09bd0.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back