Live or Dry Rock

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there R2R

I’m setting up a nuvo 14 nano that will house mainly hammer corals.

going bare bottom (BB) on this build and curious whether to purchase live rock, or go with the basic dry rock method.

i am in no rush to get corals, I plan on keeping the tank fish only for a few months.

my question is, if I go live rock, 1. what does the biodiversity do for my system

2. What’s the difference between basic live rock and ‘premium’ rock that comes from the ocean

3. In my head, LR can present ich in the aystem. Should I bother QT my fish in that case ?

thanks !

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with live rock. You don't need much for that size tank. Any live rock is better than dry rock. If you are afraid of ich let it go fallow for the first 70 days as you are not in a hurry

awesome advice. Can definitely do that. Now my question is, why do some hobbyist opt to cure their live rock ? Isn’t that counter intuitive?

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome advice. Can definitely do that. Now my question is, why do some hobbyist opt to cure their live rock ? Isn’t that counter intuitive?
It depends on what you mean with cure. If it’s filled with decaying organically and you put it in a dark bin with flow, heat and change the water frequently that will mostly be a good thing as it will prevent nutrient issues down the line as well as preserving the biodiversity.

Go with live rock, it’s far superior.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you mean with cure. If it’s filled with decaying organically and you put it in a dark bin with flow, heat and change the water frequently that will mostly be a good thing as it will prevent nutrient issues down the line as well as preserving the biodiversity.

Go with live rock, it’s far superior.

im definitely going with the LR. Last nano I built was very unstable for a year as it was dead rock.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Without a doubt, ocean aquacultured live rock will provide the most diverse microorganisms and create a stable environment.
We categorize rock as Base rock (plain and simple, excellent for cycling a new tank and delivering a plethora of micro critters), or Premium rock (highly variable exterior lifeforms, not good for cycling a new tank due to organisms on the outside of the rock, excellent for mature tanks).
Ocean live rock shipped in water should not be cured in a bin/barrel, it requires life support just like an invert or fish.
Ocean live rock shipped in damp paper should be cured, because its health is compromised.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a doubt, ocean aquacultured live rock will provide the most diverse microorganisms and create a stable environment.
We categorize rock as Base rock (plain and simple, excellent for cycling a new tank and delivering a plethora of micro critters), or Premium rock (highly variable exterior lifeforms, not good for cycling a new tank due to organisms on the outside of the rock, excellent for mature tanks).
Ocean live rock shipped in water should not be cured in a bin/barrel, it requires life support just like an invert or fish.
Ocean live rock shipped in damp paper should be cured, because its health is compromised.
i have just ordered premium live rock to cycle a new tank but only that rock no dry will it matter got some bottled bac to add aswell

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have add only premium live rock from KP Aquatic to a new tank. No problems.

I wouldn't put base rock in his nano tank since it will not have a lot of rock. I'd want all the rock to look nice.

Don't buy live rock from another reefer or the LFS. You don't know what is or what chemical was used in their tanks.

LiverockRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have just ordered premium live rock to cycle a new tank but only that rock no dry will it matter
I see you are in the UK @Dave1993. Depending on the rock farm location, their term for 'premium rock' may be just fine to cycle a new tank.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gold info right here, it is very much appreciated. Definitely going to look around for LR online, and order soon.

going to try to get it shipped in water to preserve all the goodies on the rock.

más to my understanding, if delivered wet, add to tank instantly. WC until smell goes away, and we are done.

right ?

also, would it be worth letting the tank run without fishes for a fallow period to avoid possible ich? Also, if yes, how would I go about keeping the bacteria fed ? Phantom feed ? Thanks !

LiverockRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This gold info right here, it is very much appreciated. Definitely going to look around for LR online, and order soon.

going to try to get it shipped in water to preserve all the goodies on the rock.

más to my understanding, if delivered wet, add to tank instantly. WC until smell goes away, and we are done.

right ?

also, would it be worth letting the tank run without fishes for a fallow period to avoid possible ich? Also, if yes, how would I go about keeping the bacteria fed ? Phantom feed ? Thanks !
If you order rock shipped submerged add to tank instantly.
Smell rock when you take it out of the box, if there is a sponge/tunicate on it that smells bad scrape it off. If rock smells like the ocean you are good to go. You can monitor ammonia, do regular water changes...

If the live rock vender sells fish, and their water system is the same as the rock, I would run fallow for sure.
TBS does not sell or buy fish from wholesalers; our holding system is 100% Florida products and natural sea water. AquaBiomics test reveals that our holding tanks do not have ich, velvet, brook, etc.

Ocean live rock arrives with bacteria and nutrients for bacteria to survive fallow, no need to Phantom feed but if you do go light.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you order rock shipped submerged add to tank instantly.
Smell rock when you take it out of the box, if there is a sponge/tunicate on it that smells bad scrape it off. If rock smells like the ocean you are good to go. You can monitor ammonia, do regular water changes...

If the live rock vender sells fish, and their water system is the same as the rock, I would run fallow for sure.
TBS does not sell or buy fish from wholesalers; our holding system is 100% Florida products and natural sea water. AquaBiomics test reveals that our holding tanks do not have ich, velvet, brook, etc.

Ocean live rock arrives with bacteria and nutrients for bacteria to survive fallow, no need to Phantom feed but if you do go light.
Thank you once again for the great info, it’s definitely helpful in understanding.

all makes clear sense. I’m going to go ahead and check you guys out. You might get an order from me soon.

great quality control I see

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rock but get ya crab trap out...its been about 5 months now and I am still see crabs pop their heads out.. 7 and counting, two of those were gorillas and enjoyed yellow zoas
Funny you say that, I just came from a thread that spoke about a similar issue.

going BB so no rush here, going to dedicate first few months ‘cleansing’ the rock from as much ‘bad’ stuff as I can. Rather have fun ID these critters for the meanwhile

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there R2R

I’m setting up a nuvo 14 nano that will house mainly hammer corals.

going bare bottom (BB) on this build and curious whether to purchase live rock, or go with the basic dry rock method.

i am in no rush to get corals, I plan on keeping the tank fish only for a few months.

my question is, if I go live rock, 1. what does the biodiversity do for my system

2. What’s the difference between basic live rock and ‘premium’ rock that comes from the ocean

3. In my head, LR can present ich in the aystem. Should I bother QT my fish in that case ?

thanks !
GO LIVE ROCK 1000%%%%. i just broke down my 15g because i started with dry rock! I got dinos in my tank and couldnt shake them because of the lack of biodiversity. I started up a new tank with KP aquatic live rock which should make a world of a difference! Been in the hobby for 8 years had all successful tanks and this is the first time i started with dry rock and i will never do i again!! I see so many more problems with dinos and cyano because alot more people are starting with the dry rock nowadays. I think its an absolute must to start with live rock!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back