Live rock growth

boyfish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 5, 2024
Messages
13
Reaction score
19
Location
Atlanta
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new tank set up and I got this piece of live rock from an LFS. It has what looks to be so much old growth on it. I’m assuming the porous encrusting spot is sponge but what else is on here? Can anyone help ID what this stuff is. I found it in a giant bin of live rock and thought it looked cool so I bought it. I just find it interesting to see what is living or once lived on this rock. Also could any of it be dormant and come back, particularly the sponge? Thanks for your time and insight!

IMG_5240.jpeg IMG_5237.jpeg IMG_5239.jpeg IMG_5235.jpeg
 
Hard to tell what’s all on there. Sponges usually do well in low to no light so there may be some of that.

I would just check it over for aptasias and make sure there aren’t any.
 
Hard to tell what’s all on there. Sponges usually do well in low to no light so there may be some of that.

I would just check it over for aptasias and make sure there aren’t any.
I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if I do! Hope not tho. If that is a sponge that has bleached or “died off” essentially, you think there’s any chance of regrowth if it’s dormant? Not sure how common/likely that is
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new