"Live rock" prep!

  • Thread starter Thread starter heathd.hd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I remember buying what was called "deco rock" back in the day. It was the live rock on steroids, it had a rainbow of colors of algae, sponges and feather dusters all over it. It was what sucked me in. Seeing all these different creatures, limpets, chitons, pods, etc come off and make the tank home. I think it was something like $7.00 a pound, this was about 20 years ago. Jesus I'm old. Luckily I was starting a 10 gallon, so I didn't need a ton, but it was cool seeing all the life / hitch hikers. I didn't get jaded on live rock until I put a piece in that had a Eunicid worm a gorilla crabs hidden in it. The Eunicid was about 18" before I finally was able to get him out. Sorry to go off on a tangent, but live rock definitely has it's pros and cons.
 
Live rock prep

I would just get dead rock and then cure it so it would
Become live. This is an inexpensive way and you know
That your not getting any parasites or any unwanted pests
.
 
I would just get dead rock and then cure it so it would
Become live. This is an inexpensive way and you know
That your not getting any parasites or any unwanted pests
.

Totally agree. I buy porous lava rock or dead rock for like $0.25/lbs. I put it into a tank that is heated but not filtered/skimed. I then take a cup brine shrimp in a blender w/ the water, and pulverize it. Dump that mixture into the tank with tank-starter bacteria. I let it basically rot for a couple weeks until the ammonia and nitrites are negative. At that point, your tank is actually cycled and your rocks are cured. I then heavily filter w/ water-polisher filters and wet-skim it for another week until the water is crystal-clear. I do a big enough water change to get rid of the Nitrates... and add fish. It works like a charm!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new