Live Rock Question

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am relatively new to the hobby and have recently set up a 75 gal tank with non-live rock. I am not sure of the name of the type but it is very attractive looking, very pourous, and an off-white in colour.....I see it in many pictures in tanks.

Anyways I have already gone through the diatom bloom which I have read is normal. The rocks have since cleared up on their own and returned back to the whitish colour. Now I have noticed some other colours starting to emerge.....some reds and pinks. I am just curious what is normal for these rocks....do they change colour over time as they become cured? Does anyone have examples of this?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am relatively new to the hobby and have recently set up a 75 gal tank with non-live rock. I am not sure of the name of the type but it is very attractive looking, very pourous, and an off-white in colour.....I see it in many pictures in tanks.

Anyways I have already gone through the diatom bloom which I have read is normal. The rocks have since cleared up on their own and returned back to the whitish colour. Now I have noticed some other colours starting to emerge.....some reds and pinks. I am just curious what is normal for these rocks....do they change colour over time as they become cured? Does anyone have examples of this?
Sounds like you started out with dry rock, and it's currently in the process of becoming live rock :) You're going to see a lot of strange colors over the coming months :) Perfectly normal to see some greens, pink, orange, red.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above! Watching the colors appear is fascinating! It makes every piece unique!

OP
OP
Chris Van Daele

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have a fish only with live rock set up and since I have a puffer fish I'm limited on my clean up crew. Are the colours the result of algea?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have a fish only with live rock set up and since I have a puffer fish I'm limited on my clean up crew. Are the colours the result of algea?
Correct :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back