Live rock V established rock?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with looking for optimal? :) I agree most I've seen in LFS vat doesn't really qualify but I have seen some. Also, I wasn't around in the hobby years ago when actual reef rock was available. I've heard that was much different that what you get today.

I would search LFS (bottom of bin if they'll let you look - if not, find another LFS), friends, upgrading personal tanks, anything I could to seed a tank I'm starting up. Not saying quality live rock like that is plentiful, just optimal. Doesn't have to be a lot either, just a large piece or two will help immeasurably.

My point was mostly, live rock doesn't have to be ocean rock as that honestly can have some significant issues with it. I think going dry to eliminate those issues is too far the other way as you lose solid environment start which makes establishing the reef tank easier.

If you have to pick only between dry and ocean rock - that's a tough call if recommending to someone as both have different issues that different people will have a different take on. And I don't think one clearly outshine the other. I know what I picked when I had that choice and I dealt with the consequences and ended up with a tank I liked.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... Also, I wasn't around in the hobby years ago when actual reef rock was available. I've heard that was much different that what you get today.
The Gulf rock I sold in the 90's was much like the live rock being supplied from Florida today. It was different than the Tonga and Fiji rock that I was importing at the same time, but still had lots of life on it and did the job just as well. The Gulf Rock had different pests but they were eliminated in the same process used in the Tonga and Fiji Rock. Today's live rock is just fine. There is some difference, mostly in density, but it is way overstated.

What's wrong with looking for optimal? :) I agree most I've seen in LFS vat doesn't really qualify but I have seen some... Not saying quality live rock like that is plentiful, just optimal. Doesn't have to be a lot either, just a large piece or two will help immeasurably.
Planning to build a tank with unicorn rock just doesn't make sense. Maybe a Pico or Nano tank could be started in this manner, but anything larger might require a different plan. I haven't had any luck "seeding" dry rock either. The process is slow. The "uglies" arrive long before the long before the rock matures.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back