Live Rock V.S. Dry Rock

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bali rock is avail in us,nice rock too

OP
OP
YHyperBull

YHyperBull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock is much much much easier to aquascape (you can drill/cut/glue them with all the time in the world), it's far cheaper, and you know it's not going to introduce anything nasty.

Live rock obviously has all the biological goodness that a reef eventually needs.

My strategy was to buy about 20% very high quality live rock from a few different sources, and add it to the dry aquascape I created. Eventually all the goodness of the live stuff spreads.
this is probably the best option for me seeing that i cannot afford to attain a 100% live rock aquascape. Thank you for your input!!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started 3 tanks with mostly live rock, then added dry rock pieces slowly as my aquascape evolved.

I got a few aiptaisia but nothing I can't deal with, and I enjoy the other hitchikers. I've had very little trouble with algae and I'm not sure I'd recognize a dinoflagellate if I saw it. For the most part things have done well.

ETA: I am lucky to have access to fresh live rock, our LFS owner drives to Florida periodically for it.

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I restarted my 150g, I used Marco dry rock for lack of better options. I hated it for the first six months and then things started to quickly improve. I eventually added some live rock to the mix and have never looked back.

38070F58-C9D7-4604-8CE3-0E13E25BCC5E.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back