Live rock

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where you live you can get live rock and be up and running fairly fast. I got mine from a company that sells aquacultured live rock. It was in shipping with fedex for almost two days so there was some die off. You can have some air shipped and pick it up at the airport but that's fairly expensive. I didn't have a lot of life such as corals or any hitchhikers other than a few bristle worms. I did have a good amount of coraline algae though, and my tank cycled very fast. I was hoping for more hitchhikers myself. Dry pukani would be a lot cheaper, and would go a lot further in aquascaping your tank. Since I was just starting a very small nano I didn't want to wait for the curing and time it would take to grow the coraline. My next will be mostly dry seeded with some live. My tank has been running for two months and four days. Only 7.5 gal. so it wasn't too expensive to go the live rock route.
Screenshot_20171203-165357.png
Screenshot_20171203-165351.png
Screenshot_20171203-165420.png

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s kinda what I was hoping to hear, I figured being it will be a complete new system why wouldn’t I be able to allow the rock to cure/cycle in the tank all at one shot. I have no problem with leaving the tank sit with rock only for a little while to make sure it’s healthy and ready for inhabitants. I was just worried I was going to be waiting around for a few months with no tank setup after have planned for it to be set up for Christmas.

Should I be skimming while the rock is curing and tank is cycling?
Any suggestions as far as WC during this time.
Light, no light?

I was planning to still add a small amount of wet live rock to help seed the dry, and for the algaes and so on. Been looking into ARC and TampaBay Saltwater for that.

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions
No, I wouldn't skim. I would ghost feed just a bit though and build the filter and add nutrients.

The arc is strait up wild and live. Good seed but you may get some pistil shrimp and crabs.
Me, I'm into that.
And there are ways to get them out the a lot of modern reefers forget.
Hyper salinity being one of them, or just putting it a bucket with a snail trap or shrimp Trap and a powerhead.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real live rock is the way to go dry rock doesn’t have the bacteria in the rock like the rock from the ocean. I learned this 30 years ago with the first live rock tanks. Every algae problem you see in the forums we had back then with the dry coral pieces we used in our tanks. Real live rock has so much life that it out competes many algae’s that plague dry rock tanks.

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where you live you can get live rock and be up and running fairly fast. I got mine from a company that sells aquacultured live rock. It was in shipping with fedex for almost two days so there was some die off. You can have some air shipped and pick it up at the airport but that's fairly expensive. I didn't have a lot of life such as corals or any hitchhikers other than a few bristle worms. I did have a good amount of coraline algae though, and my tank cycled very fast. I was hoping for more hitchhikers myself. Dry pukani would be a lot cheaper, and would go a lot further in aquascaping your tank. Since I was just starting a very small nano I didn't want to wait for the curing and time it would take to grow the coraline. My next will be mostly dry seeded with some live. My tank has been running for two months and four days. Only 7.5 gal. so it wasn't too expensive to go the live rock route.
Screenshot_20171203-165357.png
Screenshot_20171203-165351.png
Screenshot_20171203-165420.png

Nice looking tank! Which company did you use for live rock? I’m between Pittsburgh and Morgantown as far as location, so getting live rock shouldn’t be to much an issue. I’m thinking I’m gonna do a 50/50 with live and dry

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I wouldn't skim. I would ghost feed just a bit though and build the filter and add nutrients.

The arc is strait up wild and live. Good seed but you may get some pistil shrimp and crabs.
Me, I'm into that.
And there are ways to get them out the a lot of modern reefers forget.
Hyper salinity being one of them, or just putting it a bucket with a snail trap or shrimp Trap and a powerhead.

I’m all about getting some hitchhikers! Just worried that if they are true pests I won’t actually know, or be able to take care of it in time being I’m completely new to saltwater and so far this forum has been my life line. I’m thinking of going with a 50/50 mix of dry and live

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m all about getting some hitchhikers! Just worried that if they are true pests I won’t actually know, or be able to take care of it in time being I’m completely new to saltwater and so far this forum has been my life line. I’m thinking of going with a 50/50 mix of dry and live
If you like that stuff and find It as fascinating as I do I'd go for it.
The key will be patience and research. You can wait for the rock to cure in the tank or trap crabs and pistol shrimp.

That's the start of my dram tank btw. Six monts to a year of wild stuff. Then I might add a fish lol.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine with 100% dry rock from Billy's Reef Connection, cycled in heated saltwater with a bottle of BioSpira and a raw shrimp. Good to go in a week. It has since encrusted with coraline algae, microfauna and epifauna that came in on frags and snail shells.

I used live rock in my first tank and will never do that again. Way too many pests and hitchhikers to deal with.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my rock from ARC Reef. They harvest it from rock they have placed out in the ocean and left for organisms to grow on and in. For every pound you purchase they plant ten pounds back. You can also call them to specify certain sizes you are interested in and they will try to accommodate. They shipped mine wrapped in a very thick wet sterile cotton towel placed in several very thick plastic bags. They also included instructions on care and gloves to handle the rock with. If I order live rock again I will be sure to brush any die off away in a bucket of saltwater before adding it to my tank. If I would have done that the first time I think it may have cycled even faster.

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my rock from ARC Reef. They harvest it from rock they have placed out in the ocean and left for organisms to grow on and in. For every pound you purchase they plant ten pounds back. You can also call them to specify certain sizes you are interested in and they will try to accommodate. They shipped mine wrapped in a very thick wet sterile cotton towel placed in several very thick plastic bags. They also included instructions on care and gloves to handle the rock with. If I order live rock again I will be sure to brush any die off away in a bucket of saltwater before adding it to my tank. If I would have done that the first time I think it may have cycled even faster.

I’ve gotten mixed reviews on ARC, namely on the look of the rock. Rounded, not very pourous. How was yours? I just ordered some dry pukani from BRS and once the tank is fully setup I plan to order the rest of my rock, live. I’ve also looked into Tampa Bay saltwater for rock, but I’m not crazy about it coming from the Gulf.

Good to know about it coming with the extras you mentioned, gloves, care sheet. First to mention it.

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like that stuff and find It as fascinating as I do I'd go for it.
The key will be patience and research. You can wait for the rock to cure in the tank or trap crabs and pistol shrimp.

That's the start of my dram tank btw. Six monts to a year of wild stuff. Then I might add a fish lol.

Now that’s something I’d like to see! Kinda got me thinking on a side project now! Lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might even take this discussion a step further for myself, say experiment on a small scale per say.

Thinking to myself, if live rock is a key to a healthy biodiversity, especially in newly established systems. Why just stop there?

Why not add from time to time, say once every two, three years, a new piece of live rock? Don't get me wrong, not large pieces, but small, rubble size pieces from the ocean, not from someone's bin at the LFS.

Just to "re- inoculate" the bacterial diversity of strains. Can't hurt, could help!

@saltyfilmfolks, I will be looking into the Walt Smith Fiji mud. :)

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/07/08/revisiting-my-elos-tank-after-18-months/

This is what I read when it was posted. Couldn't agree more with Mike! It has been my experience. I'll never go "dry" again. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might even take this discussion a step further for myself, say experiment on a small scale per say.

Thinking to myself, if live rock is a key to a healthy biodiversity, especially in newly established systems. Why just stop there?

Why not add from time to time, say once every two, three years, a new piece of live rock? Don't get me wrong, not large pieces, but small, rubble size pieces from the ocean, not from someone's bin at the LFS.

Just to "re- inoculate" the bacterial diversity of strains. Can't hurt, could help!

@saltyfilmfolks, I will be looking into the Walt Smith Fiji mud. :)

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/07/08/revisiting-my-elos-tank-after-18-months/

This is what I read when it was posted. Couldn't agree more with Mike! It has been my experience. I'll never go "dry" again. Lesson learned.

I like the idea, I think you’re exaclty right. Surely couldn’t hurt, possibly could help. Especially addding On a small scale. Or possibly even swapping pieces out? If it were possible. I’m sure having a large sized tank would make this a lot easier to do.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back