Live rock?

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to buy about 20 lbs of rock from TBS to a established tank. What is the best way to do this? Put it in rubbermaid containers first and look for mantis shrimp and other bad hitchhikers or just add it to tank? I think one of my issues not enough rock. The rock I have now will put some in sump.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either or in all honesty. I’d give it a good inspection if adding directly to an established tank. Or give it a few days in a lit brute can. Other option is do a high salinity dip and most hitchhikers will dart out (both good and bad)

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBS will give you good guidance. They want their product to work for you. I recommend emailing them to start a discussion. I have been observing my order for two weeks now. I think an empty aquarium is best for observation. I never would have found the tiny polyclad flatworm in a tub.

image7.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am looking to buy about 20 lbs of rock from TBS to a established tank. What is the best way to do this? Put it in rubbermaid containers first and look for mantis shrimp and other bad hitchhikers or just add it to tank? I think one of my issues not enough rock. The rock I have now will put some in sump.
Yes..... place rock in tub with water and allow to immerse and look for any unwanted hitchhikers such as crabs, mantic and any worms

DavidY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put it in a bucket first. You always run the risk f adding something unwanted when directly adding to the tank.

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a cheap glass aquarium for mine. I threw in a heater and power head. Did a 75% water change each week (using the old water from my main display after water change). I'd definitely recommend an observation tank similar to what I did. However if you're starting a brand new tank and ok with the hitchhiker risk involved, don't see anything wrong with just going for it.

Edit: I also don't love the advice that is commonly given to just dip the rock to make all the creatures evacuate the rock. I considered it for a second but came to the conclusion that it's silly to spend all this money and then immediately and drastically disrupt the biome. I'll gamble on the hitchhikers that evade my observation.

Last edited:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a cheap glass aquarium for mine. I threw in a heater and power head. Did a 75% water change each week (using the old water from my main display after water change). I'd definitely recommend an observation tank similar to what I did. However if you're starting a brand new tank and ok with the hitchhiker risk involved, don't see anything wrong with just going for it.

Edit: I also don't love the advice that is commonly given to just dip the rock to make all the creatures evacuate the rock. I considered it for a second but came to the conclusion that it's silly to spend all this money and then immediately and drastically disrupt the biome. I'll gamble on the hitchhikers that evade my observation.
TBS recommends that you DO NOT dip or cure their live rocks in any way. Observation in a non display tank has been working for me.

Back