*** Live with Reef2Reef Video Series? We need your ideas! ***

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot of info out there on what tank size you need for each kind of fish. But I know many people who buy juvenile fish and then upgrade their system or rehome the fish when it grows too large. I’ve never seen anyone offer advice on how to know when it’s time to upgrade. I know a tiny yellow tang can live happily in 30 gallons for example. But an adult obviously needs much more space.

I don’t know how you feel about the policy of buying fish with the intention of rehoming them. But I know plenty of people do it. And for those who do there is no advice out there on how to tell when A fish has outgrown its environment.

Not sure what form advice might take. Behavioral signs, recommended tank sizes for juveniles vs adults, inch length to water volume ratios for different species. I honestly have no idea how it might be determined. But it’s an area of advice that is totally lacking any guidelines.

What advice would you give to someone who has purchased a fish that will one day outgrow their tank? How do you know when the tank is too small?

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I’ve noticed with coral is that, even within the same species, some color variants are much hardier than others. I’ve never seen anyone create a comprehensive guide to easier versions of difficult corals. Like green skimmer acro is not nearly as challenging as other color variants. I’ve heard that red/pink acans are hardier and grow faster. I’ve personally watched some corals flourish while another of the same species withers. Same for bubble tip color variants.

Basically what is a good guide list for coral color variants that are well established in the trade as being hardier than their counterparts with different color morphs.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think itd be cool for rev to interview random members. Like Skype call interview or if they live close enough in person interview. Sorry if this has been said already

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd like to see interviews with coral vendors and behind the scenes tours of the facilities.
Maybe show how a order is received from a customer ( on the vendors computer ) and how they go about bagging and shipping out.
Show time frames, when the crew starts working and lights out at the end of the day.
A day in the life of a coral/fish vendor.

Charliek71477

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic ideas!!
I'm new to reefing myself, I just purchased a redsea max nano tank that I pick up tom, yea! Lol. I will be using caribsea agro-alive fiji pink, 20 lbs of caribsea liferock, about 1lb of caribsea rubble zone In the sump, and saltwater from my LFS as well as using dr. Tim's to start tank and get it cycling. Hopefully that will be a good start for my tank. Lol. What are your thoughts on it?

15644155357611418868842322344423.jpg

Ox100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great series name would be (911 Reef 2 reef) it should focus on reefers who are failing and about quit the hobby and you go in and bring there system back to live break down there problem or problems also do meet and greet of successful reefers also maybe do a little in-depth explaining of different product we use and setup

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see a series where a very "generic" smaller setup is used that can be easily procured and replicated. Something like one of the smaller Redsea or Waterbox systems. Walk through what extra equipment is needed, system setup, aquascape, cycling, light and flow settings....

The goal would be to give a new hobbyists an exact blueprint on how to set up this exact system while knowing all of the costs up front.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bunch of ideas:

I definitely like the science one! Encourage more people to make data-driven decisions on long-term corrective measures instead of just reading some anecdotal opinions and then pouring bottles of snake oil into their system to treat symptoms instead of causes.

Easy reef-hacks, like the thread that came up this weekend about blowing directly into your skimmer to lower pH, or temporarily adding salt water to an ATO to correct low salinity. Stuff like that.

How about challenging some of the BRS stuff? They put out a lot of great information, and I'm a way better reefer now thanks to the efforts of @Ryanbrs and @randyBRS but there's always another side to a story.

Videos about FISH. We're all obsessed with our parameters and our corals, but how about a closer look on popular fish species, compatibility, suitability for a reef environment, and special care techniques?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1- Setting up and using a calcium reactor

2- Fighting cyano and Dino

3- Moving Too Quickly – Not Letting the Tank Cycle

4- Buying Livestock from the Wrong Sources

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRStv does a great job at sharing the technical side of reef keeping. IMO, one of @revhtree ’s super powers is his ability to really connect with a wide range of people and build a solid sense of community. With this in mind, I would like to see this series focus on the human connections throughout the saltwater and reef keeping world as he engages and interacts with hobbyist, academics, industry professionals, and related experts (along with their related spaces including their tanks, labs, work spaces, and more).

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bunch of ideas:

I definitely like the science one! Encourage more people to make data-driven decisions on long-term corrective measures instead of just reading some anecdotal opinions and then pouring bottles of snake oil into their system to treat symptoms instead of causes.

Easy reef-hacks, like the thread that came up this weekend about blowing directly into your skimmer to lower pH, or temporarily adding salt water to an ATO to correct low salinity. Stuff like that.

How about challenging some of the BRS stuff? They put out a lot of great information, and I'm a way better reefer now thanks to the efforts of @Ryanbrs and @randyBRS but there's always another side to a story.

Videos about FISH. We're all obsessed with our parameters and our corals, but how about a closer look on popular fish species, compatibility, suitability for a reef environment, and special care techniques?

I've seen some of the BRS videos, but a couple of them I saw early on were clearly slanted toward higher end and product lines they sell. Rev could be MUCH more transparent and not have any products to push.

Another idea:
Maybe have some DIY videos. Maybe have members do videos. I'm just in the process of deciding just how I want to build a new 36" x 30"x 20" tank and stand. I'm going to build the tank myself (it will be my 6th tank build). I'd be happy to send in videos as I go along and Rev (R2R) can edit it into a final product when it's all done.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see discussion on the ever present topics of how reefing affects the environment. Discussing that with wholesalers, aquaculture experts, and lfs owners would be a really cool idea. Also maybe have a segment that showcase cool topics (like the aquaculture of the Gigas clam) would be stupendous.

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see a detailed series on running a calcium reactor vs dosing, I know brs did something similar, but it would be nice to see different options and opinions.

JLUR_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the BTS videos of fish/coral vendors. I'd like to see what goes into growing/fragging/shipping livestock. I switched over from freshwater and I can't tell you how many times I've watched the videos that Jimes Findlay/The Green Machine produced. Something like this for the reef world would be awesome.

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its been talked about but I would like to see something on refugiums. Types of popular macro, light cycles, lighting, lighting options at different price points, etc.

Budget reefing for the beginner would be beneficial.

Detailed quarantine procedures and disease treatment

carol clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some videos on the beginners eye what must be done someone who has done it all explains why this or that im a newbie so this is what id love to see and coral and the longevity of them

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reefers!! So we've been kicking around the idea of starting a video series where we discuss different reef topics hosted by Rev himself!

We've got some really cool ideas already brewing on this. This could be anything from interviews with industry experts, topic discussions, the SKY'S THE LIMIT! ...who knows...maybe we'll even see Rev's 400g tank in there at some point (He has a build thread he sometimes visits...) or even Leroy, the R2R mascot!

2.JPG

3.JPG

...but we're wondering...

What are some things you guys would like to see us talk about? Give us some topic ideas!

1.jpg

And, what should we call it?​

I'd love for someone to do a solid series about QT of fish AND inverts, with major bonus points if you go into common diseases and pests and how to deal with them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back