Liveaquaria Shipping Disaster :|

Eclyps19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is sort of just a rant, so I apologize if nobody cares. I'm just SO frustrated right now and I don't know what to do.

I buy almost all my fish from Live Aquaria's Divers Den. I've spent literally thousands of dollars with them for my fish. Things have been pretty reasonable. Expensive prices for some fish, but overall the quality has been reasonable and better than what I get from my LFS.

I purchased a Leopard Wrasse from them on February 12th. It was a Friday, so they didn't actually process the order until early the following week. Well by then that big storm was brewing, so I reached out and let them know that I would still be willing to accept the package if they shipped it out, but suggested that they delay it until the end of the week until the storm passed.

I received an email on February 16th stating that the shipping date was rescheduled for Wednesday February 17th. Cool! February 17th rolls around, no shipment email. 18th, nothing. 19th, nothing.

On February 23rd I send an followup email asking if there was an ETA on the shipment.

On February 25th I follow up again because I had still heard nothing.

Later in the afternoon on the 25th I received a response saying that they will try to get any shipments that were being held out by March 1st. The email also said, and I quote, "If you cannot receive your order on certain days, please call us at xxx-xxx-xxxx, email, or use our Live Chat feature".

Well, I was going to be out of town on 3/3 and 3/4, but would be back home early on 3/5. I immediately responded to the email letting them know that if they shipped on 3/1 that would be fine, but that I would be entirely unable to receive delivery of the fish on 3/3 or 3/4. If they were unable to ship on 3/1, they would need to hold it and ship it on 3/4 for a 3/5 delivery. I received an email back saying that the request was received.

Fast forward to 3/3. I get an email at 6:00PM saying that I have an overnight package being delivered for the morning of 3/4. WHAT?! No! You asked me when I would be unable to receive the shipment and I clearly said 3/3 and 3/4! I franticly send an email to support and try calling their support line, but by then they were closed for the day.

So now, the day before I'm set to arrive home, I have a live fish sitting outside my front door. That fish has the luxury of sitting there for the next 12 or so hours before it either suffocates, freezes to death, or chokes to death on the ammonia buildup in its bag. If it does miraculously survive, who knows what sort of damage it will have.

I still haven't received a response to my email asking why the heck they shipped it after asking me what days I wouldn't be available to receive it, so I hopped on their chat to speak with someone. And this was the most frustrating part.

I was expecting something along the lines of "We're sorry, yes this was a mistake, we'll credit you the cost of the fish if it's dead, or we'll extend the guarantee", or SOMETHING along those lines, especially since this fish is strangely considered "expert only" which doesn't come with a guarantee after delivery. Instead, I was simply told over and over again that it's my responsibility to ensure that I'm available and that my frustration has been noted in my account.

WHAT!?

You people literally asked for days that I would be unavailable. I assume this was not just so you could make a pretty calendar of random customer's "unavailable" days. I assumed this was because you didn't want to send people a fish that they bought 3-4 weeks ago to sit outside their house and rot. But clearly that's not the case. Obviously if this was a normal situation and I purchased the fish and wasn't available several days after the purchase, that's on me. This was an unusual situation, though. I can't be expected to remain available indefinitely after they hold on to my shipment for nearly a month. And to essentially tell me that it's MY fault? That was about all I could take.

Really really REALLY disappointed in this company.

And on that note, what are some good alternative companies out there for livestock?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another thread that sounds like another one a week ago. That sucks and they should definatly fix it. From what ive sen LA has pretty good customer service on R2r so you may be in luck.

Following the last few threads check out TSM

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eclyps19 We apologize, it was certainly a rough patch of needing to hold orders for weather and transit delays. We are still working hard to fulfill all these orders. It is unfortunate there was a mistake made and we did not ship your order on your requested date-very frustrating! Please PM us your order detail so we are able to review with you. Thank you!

Last edited:

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eclyps19 We apologize, it was certainly a rough patch of needing to hold orders for weather and transit delays. We are still working hard to fulfill all these orders. It is unfortunate we were unable to accommodate your requested date for shipment-very frustrating! Please PM us your order detail so we are able to review with you. Thank you!
Love this response. Unable to accommodate days when the buyer wouldn’t be home? Makes perfect sense

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eclyps19 We apologize, it was certainly a rough patch of needing to hold orders for weather and transit delays. We are still working hard to fulfill all these orders. It is unfortunate we were unable to accommodate your requested date for shipment-very frustrating! Please PM us your order detail so we are able to review with you. Thank you!

If I can give some advice, from one large-scale shipper to another - wording like this does you no favors.

It isn't 'unfortunate that you were unable to accommodate his requested date'. It's unfortunate that you didn't accommodate the date. Mistakes happen and we all understand that, especially with a huge backlog of shipping. But saying that you were unable to accommodate the request makes it sound like you're trying to duck responsibility and it was completely out of your hands, when in fact it was completely in your hands - that fish could not have shipped out without one of your employees performing work to get it bagged, packed, boxed and shipped. The unfortunate part is that your internal communications were not sufficient to intercept the package and ship it out in a time frame that would work with your customer, especially given that you explicitly solicited that information from your customer.

It's always less expensive to prevent a problem than it is to fix it, and wording like "we were unable to accommodate your request" just makes it more expensive, in terms of damaged reputation.

It's admirable that you're trying to fix this with the customer, but it's more admirable if you can do that without hiding behind the customer-service passive voice. Your company made a mistake. Own it, accept it, acknowledge it, and fix it. And then work to identify the source of the issue and implement measures to prevent it from happening to another customer.

OP
OP
Eclyps19

Eclyps19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can give some advice, from one large-scale shipper to another - wording like this does you no favors.

It isn't 'unfortunate that you were unable to accommodate his requested date'. It's unfortunate that you didn't accommodate the date. Mistakes happen and we all understand that, especially with a huge backlog of shipping. But saying that you were unable to accommodate the request makes it sound like you're trying to duck responsibility and it was completely out of your hands, when in fact it was completely in your hands - that fish could not have shipped out without one of your employees performing work to get it bagged, packed, boxed and shipped. The unfortunate part is that your internal communications were not sufficient to intercept the package and ship it out in a time frame that would work with your customer, especially given that you explicitly solicited that information from your customer.

It's always less expensive to prevent a problem than it is to fix it, and wording like "we were unable to accommodate your request" just makes it more expensive, in terms of damaged reputation.

It's admirable that you're trying to fix this with the customer, but it's more admirable if you can do that without hiding behind the customer-service passive voice. Your company made a mistake. Own it, accept it, acknowledge it, and fix it. And then work to identify the source of the issue and implement measures to prevent it from happening to another customer.

I’ve been trying to type up a response that properly expressed how I felt when I read the original response. I just deleted it all after reading your response because you worded it so well.

I am such an unreasonably reasonable person. Can’t ship it out for weeks after I purchased? No problem! Did the fish unexpectedly die before it was sent? Sad, but fine! Did you change your mind about selling it to me? I legitimately would be okay with this (assuming I got a refund). It truly takes a lot to get me worked up, and I always look back at what I could have done differently to prevent things. I genuinely don’t know what I could have done other than not place the order in the first place in this situation. I overcommunicated and gave more than enough information to accommodate the operational difficulties. It just really bums me out to read the original response.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is sort of just a rant, so I apologize if nobody cares. I'm just SO frustrated right now and I don't know what to do.

I buy almost all my fish from Live Aquaria's Divers Den. I've spent literally thousands of dollars with them for my fish. Things have been pretty reasonable. Expensive prices for some fish, but overall the quality has been reasonable and better than what I get from my LFS.

I purchased a Leopard Wrasse from them on February 12th. It was a Friday, so they didn't actually process the order until early the following week. Well by then that big storm was brewing, so I reached out and let them know that I would still be willing to accept the package if they shipped it out, but suggested that they delay it until the end of the week until the storm passed.

I received an email on February 16th stating that the shipping date was rescheduled for Wednesday February 17th. Cool! February 17th rolls around, no shipment email. 18th, nothing. 19th, nothing.

On February 23rd I send an followup email asking if there was an ETA on the shipment.

On February 25th I follow up again because I had still heard nothing.

Later in the afternoon on the 25th I received a response saying that they will try to get any shipments that were being held out by March 1st. The email also said, and I quote, "If you cannot receive your order on certain days, please call us at xxx-xxx-xxxx, email, or use our Live Chat feature".

Well, I was going to be out of town on 3/3 and 3/4, but would be back home early on 3/5. I immediately responded to the email letting them know that if they shipped on 3/1 that would be fine, but that I would be entirely unable to receive delivery of the fish on 3/3 or 3/4. If they were unable to ship on 3/1, they would need to hold it and ship it on 3/4 for a 3/5 delivery. I received an email back saying that the request was received.

Fast forward to 3/3. I get an email at 6:00PM saying that I have an overnight package being delivered for the morning of 3/4. WHAT?! No! You asked me when I would be unable to receive the shipment and I clearly said 3/3 and 3/4! I franticly send an email to support and try calling their support line, but by then they were closed for the day.

So now, the day before I'm set to arrive home, I have a live fish sitting outside my front door. That fish has the luxury of sitting there for the next 12 or so hours before it either suffocates, freezes to death, or chokes to death on the ammonia buildup in its bag. If it does miraculously survive, who knows what sort of damage it will have.

I still haven't received a response to my email asking why the heck they shipped it after asking me what days I wouldn't be available to receive it, so I hopped on their chat to speak with someone. And this was the most frustrating part.

I was expecting something along the lines of "We're sorry, yes this was a mistake, we'll credit you the cost of the fish if it's dead, or we'll extend the guarantee", or SOMETHING along those lines, especially since this fish is strangely considered "expert only" which doesn't come with a guarantee after delivery. Instead, I was simply told over and over again that it's my responsibility to ensure that I'm available and that my frustration has been noted in my account.

WHAT!?

You people literally asked for days that I would be unavailable. I assume this was not just so you could make a pretty calendar of random customer's "unavailable" days. I assumed this was because you didn't want to send people a fish that they bought 3-4 weeks ago to sit outside their house and rot. But clearly that's not the case. Obviously if this was a normal situation and I purchased the fish and wasn't available several days after the purchase, that's on me. This was an unusual situation, though. I can't be expected to remain available indefinitely after they hold on to my shipment for nearly a month. And to essentially tell me that it's MY fault? That was about all I could take.

Really really REALLY disappointed in this company.

And on that note, what are some good alternative companies out there for livestock?
I completely understand your frustration and you have my sympathy. Is there a friend or neighbor that can go get the fish and try to keep it alive for you. All I can think about at this moment is that poor, terrified fish.... what a horrible way to go.

OP
OP
Eclyps19

Eclyps19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand your frustration and you have my sympathy. Is there a friend or neighbor that can go get the fish and try to keep it alive for you. All I can think about at this moment is that poor, terrified fish.... what a horrible way to go.
I was able to get a hold of a neighbor to bring it into their house, but I don’t have a way for anyone to get into my house to put it in the QT. I’m not having them open it up - not sure if they should.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1614898499774.png
These keyless entry door locks are a life saver for situations like this. Perhaps the neighbor can empty the bag into a small, clean bucket. Maybe they have an air stone? Anything to promote oxygen exchange...

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1614898499774.png
These keyless entry door locks are a life saver for situations like this. Perhaps the neighbor can empty the bag into a small, clean bucket. Maybe they have an air stone? Anything to promote oxygen exchange...
I would worry more about temp. My brother had the same issue years ago with a Picasso clown from a private breeder where ups lost the package for days and it was fine when we finally got it. It was super tiny though so it likely didn’t need much air exchange.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had fish spend an extra day in transit (including a leopard wrasse) and be fine, so don’t lose hope. Have to be honest I just don't trust these vendor to consistently read/acknowledge these kind of shipping notes. I also have had shipments come on days that were supposed to be blocked.

Last edited:

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it would be best for a supplier to communicate about a specific ship date that does work rather than potentially confusing the system with dates that do not work. I don't lay this blame to you, @Eclyps19, since I would probably do the same thing in listing days that do not work to try to leave options open for the supplier to determine a common date that satisfies both parties.

After hearing about similar situations, I will try to keep this in mind for my own orders. It may be less confusing for customer service if I focus on a date that works rather than opening the option for them to think the date discussed was the date to ship rather than actually being the date that does not work for you.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, I am so sorry this is happening to you. What kind of fish did you order? Someone mentioned that if it's a smaller fish, there's more hope that things turn out ok.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back