LiveAquaria

Mr.Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is purely curiosity based but what does everyone think of LiveAquaria tank size recommendation’s because my lfs and people I have asked often say a fish will fit in a tank and when I look it up liveaquaria says way bigger.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use

Be Smart R Kelly GIF by Myles Hi

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in england,but when I looked british websites off marine fish for sale,seems they just copy and pasted exactly same as live aquaria and I mean word for word and same lay out.
I think there just general guide lines,and as every fish different and some more active than other fish exactly same then needs can be different.
Me personally I think the recomendations are good,not that I've owned every fish they give recomendations on or even close,but I go by it and think is good guide lines,but bigger tank than recommended is usually better if we can accommodate that,but the guide lines may make someone think twice about putting a fish in to small a tank after reading its recommended to have bigger.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liveaquaria's recommendations are generally accurate (if sometimes on the larger side), but gallons alone should not be relied upon. The length of the tank, the aquascape, tank mates, and filtration capacity also play a role in determining whether a fish is suitable. As a rule of thumb, fish generally would prefer the front of the tank to be around 8 times their length, and the sides to be 4 times their length. As such, a 6 inch tang would do best in a tank of at least 48x24 inches in footprint, and a 2 inch damsel would do best in a tank of 16x8 inches. Of course, some more sedentary fish (gobies, blennies, frogfish, clowns, etc) can go in smaller tanks, and these rules are more of guidelines. I hope that this helps!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn’t perfect but is usually a good baseline. For the most part I’d go with the LA tank size recommendations, though there are plenty of fish I’d say can go smaller or bigger.
As for the quality of livestock…well that’s a different story.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For tank size recommendations, they are the best you find, not perfect but much better than all the rest. Most will recommend much smaller tanks for fish requiring larger tanks, knowing that most do have a tank large enough. Lfs are the worst, they will recommend most fish they have to sell to what ever size tank you have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is purely curiosity based but what does everyone think of LiveAquaria tank size recommendation’s because my lfs and people I have asked often say a fish will fit in a tank and when I look it up liveaquaria says way bigger.
They OVER estimate sizes and yet when I order a 4-6 inch tang and it arrives at 2.5" not once but twice, I think they are lost on the subject of size.
They are very receptive to issues but are failing. They have zero Frozen and most dry foods out of stock for quite some time which after 38 years and a store owner know what often happens next.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think tank size mattters when they send dead fish to you in the winter w/o a heat pack wrapped in Korean newspapers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back