Livestock Suggestions/Tank Improvements

Alec Meacham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow fish loving friends, Im about 6 months into my saltwater tank and am looking for suggestions on livestock, your favorite fish/inverts/coral. Im fairly tapped out on livestock, so coral/invert suggestions are probably best haha. I have a 55 Gallon system.
A Sailfin tang
Blue hippo tang
Coral beauty
2 Midnight clowns
6 Line Wrasse
Pistol/Goby
Black Sailfin and Yellow Midas Blenny
Fairy Wrasse
Cleaner shrimp
Large BTA
I have a ton of types of coral, ill just name off the more prominent/Large ones. Xenia, Green mushroom, Coco worm and one that i cant even name! (Bottom left of the picture, between the anemone and Xenia)
I eventually plan on doing a larger system. But im okay with it for now. I also have a 30G sump with refugium.
Current Tan.jpg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is grossly undersized for a blue hippo or sailfin tang. These fish grow to a foot long!

Discussing adding any livestock at this point is moot until you go big, like 6" foot tank, or rehome the tangs.

OP
OP
Alec Meacham

Alec Meacham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The expected response. They are very young and the tank will be upgraded to match size when needed, Currently they are less than 2 inches long, i appreciate the critique but i am aware of the size of the fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On to corals, with a Coral Beauty it's a bit of a gamble. Having established algae for grazing and daily seaweed/nori feedings can increase your chances of success. I've had good luck thus far with my Coral Beauty and my Euphyllia Frags (Frogspawn and Hammer). Once in a great while it will take an exploratory nip, but nothing that really hurts the corals. Euphyllia Corals would be my recommendation. They have long flowing tentacles and with relatively minimal care will grow and add a lot to your tank. Here are mine:

OP
OP
Alec Meacham

Alec Meacham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are awesome! Ill have to look into those for sure!

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The expected response. They are very young and the tank will be upgraded to match size when needed, Currently they are less than 2 inches long, i appreciate the critique but i am aware of the size of the fish.

It sounds like you knew better, so why did you add them? It's impossible to say if you will actually upgrade when needed, but if I had a nickel for every time I've heard that and it never happened....

OP
OP
Alec Meacham

Alec Meacham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again guys, i appreciate the advice. I have access to a 240 gallon reef that i can deposit/withdraw fish as i see fit.. If i feel the space is too small i can simply move it, but as i was saying they are currently smaller than my clownfish. Which are also small. There is nothing to worry about i assure you. I appreciate all the concern but there is no cause for it.

jredouard25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is grossly undersized for a blue hippo or sailfin tang. These fish grow to a foot long!

Discussing adding any livestock at this point is moot until you go big, like 6" foot tank, or rehome the tangs.

Gosh dang .tht was lowkey dissin.

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Euphyllia Corals I plan on adding some soon. Adding Zoas will and some pop and color too.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back