Living FISH in my mysis!!

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2018
Messages
54
Reaction score
33
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a living fish inside my mysis pack!

I want to take care of the little guy if possible, but I have no idea what living conditions he needs.
He's been in a fridge for who knows how long and somehow survived, so I guess it's cold water. Would it be ok in a reef tank?
I tasted the water ( gross, I know) and it seems a little salty, but less than my tank does.

Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2LonVL9nuXe8Gjm76

Any help IDing it would be appreciated, I can provide my photos/videos if needed.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20210710165544830_COVER.jpg IMG_20210710_165537.jpg
 
Where did you get the mysis? Have you contacted the seller?
 
Where did you get the mysis? Have you contacted the seller?
From an LFS called Maidenhead. Not sure where they source the shrimps from, the packet only says 'mysis'. I'll try calling the store.
 
It almost looks like a sardine. My husband loves to eat sardines. (BLECH)
 
The live glass shrimp that comes to my LFS sometimes has live pipefish in it!

I would probably test the salinity of the bag and put him in an unheated tank/container that is matched. I don't normally drip fish but probably would with this guy as I can't fathom what the parameters of that bag are or even what type of salt it could be.
 
Could be.

The specific species of mysis seems to be 'mysis relicta', which comes from cold brakish waters. I'm going to split water from my tank with RO and use some of the sand/rock from it too.

Hopefully the little dude survives.
 
Could be.

The specific species of mysis seems to be 'mysis relicta', which comes from cold brakish waters. I'm going to split water from my tank with RO and use some of the sand/rock from it too.

Hopefully the little dude survives.
If you have biospira, it works for low salinity too. I had a fish show up in hypo and had to set up a tank quick and that stuff still worked.
 
Update: The fish sadly didn't make it. I spent a long time acclimating and It seemed to be fine for a while but didn't pull through.
Not sure if it was the change in water or the overall stress.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new