Living FISH in my mysis!!

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a living fish inside my mysis pack!

I want to take care of the little guy if possible, but I have no idea what living conditions he needs.
He's been in a fridge for who knows how long and somehow survived, so I guess it's cold water. Would it be ok in a reef tank?
I tasted the water ( gross, I know) and it seems a little salty, but less than my tank does.

Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2LonVL9nuXe8Gjm76

Any help IDing it would be appreciated, I can provide my photos/videos if needed.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20210710165544830_COVER.jpg IMG_20210710_165537.jpg

OP
OP
An_Enemy

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the mysis? Have you contacted the seller?
From an LFS called Maidenhead. Not sure where they source the shrimps from, the packet only says 'mysis'. I'll try calling the store.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live glass shrimp that comes to my LFS sometimes has live pipefish in it!

I would probably test the salinity of the bag and put him in an unheated tank/container that is matched. I don't normally drip fish but probably would with this guy as I can't fathom what the parameters of that bag are or even what type of salt it could be.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be.

The specific species of mysis seems to be 'mysis relicta', which comes from cold brakish waters. I'm going to split water from my tank with RO and use some of the sand/rock from it too.

Hopefully the little dude survives.
If you have biospira, it works for low salinity too. I had a fish show up in hypo and had to set up a tank quick and that stuff still worked.

OP
OP
An_Enemy

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The fish sadly didn't make it. I spent a long time acclimating and It seemed to be fine for a while but didn't pull through.
Not sure if it was the change in water or the overall stress.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back